Aller au contenu

SnK Guidebook, Interview, Artbook & co

Setna

Messages recommandés

Shingeki No Kyojin (L'attaque des Titans)

Récapitulatif des guidebook, interview, artbook & co

Je me suis dit qu'un topic rassemblant toutes les informations extra-manga pouvait se révéler intéressant. Merci à @Haar pour la permission.

N'étant malgré tout pas une oeuvre ayant la même résonance que Naruto ou One Piece en France, il n'y a pas autant de traduction disponible, mais on a tout de même quelques éléments.

Bien sur, il y a de nombreux spoilers pour tous ceux qui ne suivent pas le manga, qui sont mélangés à des éléments non spoilant et pour lesquels il est impossible de réellement faire le tri (notamment pour les interview), tout est de toute manière en spoiler.

Guidebook

En tout, on dénombre : 

• 4 Guidebook du manga sortie à ce jour, dont le dernier est sortie le 8 août 2017, et qui sont écrits et illustrés par Hajime Isayama. Hajime Isayama est l'auteur de L'Attaque des Titans.
  • 1 Guidebook de l'anime sortie à ce jour (en avril 2017), écrit par Hajime Isayama et illustré par Suzuhito Yasuda (un autre mangaka).
  • 1 inclassable, "La science de L'Attaque des Titans", écrit par Rikao Yanagita, qui explore la nature des titans et des technologies de l'oeuvre.

Les interviews et questions-réponses présentes dans ces guidebook sont dans la partie correspondante de ce message.

Guidebook 1 et 2 : Inside et Outside

latest?cb=20141001190928latest?cb=20141001191549

Une version anglaise existe pour les deux premiers guidebook, qui recouvrent les 11 premiers volumes du manga, donc des traductions devraient être trouvables.

Edit : Je les ai acheté, donc si vous avez des questions vous pouvez les poser. En tout cas, ces volumes sont disponibles sur le marché, je pense qu'il n'est pas prioritaire de fournir des traductions ici.

Guidebook 3 : Answers

latest?cb=20160728040158

Guidebook 4 : Catalogue des personnages

f19a392c39748368a3092478619b3509.jpg

Révélation

Profil de Armin Arlert

Source

tumblr_inline_ouj19x7VYj1sarr45_500.jpg

“WHY IS IT THAT WHEN I THINK OF THE OUTSIDE WORLD, I FEEL COURAGE WELL UP INSIDE OF ME?”

Armin Arlert: 

Birthday- November 3 

Height: 163cm 

Weight: 55kg 

Affiliation: Survey Corps - New Squad Levi

ARMIN SUPPORTS EREN AND HIS FRIENDS WITH HIS STRENGTH OF WILL AND MIND.

Since childhood, Armin’s had a strong will that drew the attention of bullies. Eren and Mikasa would have to save him. This would change after becoming soldiers, staring with the fight against the Female Titan. Using intellect as a weapon, he has saved Eren and his comrades from danger multiple times.

HE DREAMS TO SEE BEYOND THE WALLS WITH EREN. 

Because of his grandfather’s book, Armin’s dream is to see the world beyond the walls. That world is a symbol of freedom for Armin, and the Titans are the obstacle to that freedom. This is his driving force to defeat the Titans: frozen earth, the snowfields of sand and the salty water that meets the horizon. He believes that the day they will see such things will come.

HE RECEIVED THE POWER OF THE TITANS AT THE BATTLE OF SHIGANSHINA

Bertholdt transformed into the Colossal Titan at the Battle of Shiganshina and fought against Armin. In order to achieve victory, Armin sacrificed himself and was grievously injured. Armin received the Titan serum injection and became a Pure Titan, ate Bertholdt (receiving the power of the Colossal Titan) and became a human again. What effect will having eaten a former companion have on Armin in the future..?

Révélation

Apparence et parents de Armin

Source

tumblr_inline_ouf8sy1Jxk1sarr45_500.jpg

“I wanted him to look gentle and mild mannered, but I also gave him a button nose so he would have a defining feature. Characters in manga often have props to distinguish them, like a unique hat, because there are so many characters, but it’s difficult to notice his nose as a feature. I also made Armin physically smaller than Eren and Mikasa. 
The name “Armin Arlert” sounds like “aluminium”, so it’s alliterative and easy to remember. 
In the TV anime, Armin’s parents made a balloon. I didn’t have time to show it in the manga, but I did draw a rough version of his parents. Clearly, Armin is similar to his father.”

Similarities to Armin: 
Mother- Hair, nose, eyebrows 
Father- Eyes

tumblr_ouempgWO001ttdbebo1_1280.jpg

Source

“Armin’s parents : Deceased 
Planned to leave the walls using a balloon. Were killed by Sannes. 
Birthdays : 
Armin’s father: November 18 
Armin’s mother: June 5”

Révélation

Les titans

Source (une partie provient de cette source)

tumblr_inline_ounv4n8seo1sarr45_400.jpg

THE ATTACK TITAN

Height : 15m
Holders : Eren Kruger- Grisha Yeager- Eren Yeager

The power of the Attack Titan has been transferred from the Owl, to Grisha and then Eren.
Through internal plans, 7 of Eldia’s 9 Titans were in the hands of Marley. One Titan that Marley was unable to capture in any age was the one that fought for freedom, the Attack Titan. Eren Kruger, who had infiltrated the Marley security force, was in posession of it. He passed it to Grisha Yeager, who then passed it to Eren Yeager.

THE COLOSSAL TITAN

Height : 60m
Holders : Bertholdt Hoover- Armin Arlert

The overwhelming destructive power of the Colossal Titan
With a height of 60m, the Colossal Titan is overwhelmingly massive, but moves slowly because of its size but makes up for it with great power and was strong enough to destroy the gate at Shiganshina with a single powerful kick. Like all Titans, it explodes on transformation and can emit large amount of steam by burning its muscle mass. It caused massive casualties to the Survey Corps.  

tumblr_inline_ounv5h4WZL1sarr45_400.jpg

THE ARMOURED TITAN

Height : 15m
Holders : Reiner Braun

Marley’s Warrior that defends with its body armour
This Titan is known as the Armoured Titan because it can harden its skin, like armour. When Marley’s enemies attack, it acts as a shield. It’s impossible to damage, even with humanities 3DMG. To damage it in the same way as another titan, the Thunder Spears used by the Survey Corps need to be used at precise points.

THE FEMALE TITAN

Height : 14m 
Holders : Annie Leonhart 

Skilled at fighting and using the hardening ability
This Titan has excellent versatility due to its mobility and versatility, and can harden in any specific area. Paired with Annie’s fighting technique, it is capable of great destruction. In addition, it has the ability to attract Pure Titans by screaming, though the range of the scream is limited. 

tumblr_inline_ounv5rNW2Q1sarr45_400.jpg

THE JAW TITAN

Height : 5m
Holders : Marcel- Ymir- Galliard

The Titan Ymir took from Marley
Due to its small size, this Titan moves quickly and has fast reflexes. With strong claws and a powerful jaw, this Titan is best at assault. Ymir received the Jaw Titan after eating Marcel. After being returned to Marley, Galliard inherited it.

THE CART TITAN

Height : 4m
Holders : Pieck

A Titan on all fours that carries heavy artillery
With its incredible endurance, this Titan is suited to long-term assignments. It can be used in various ways depending on the assignment, and plays an important role in terms of expanding military plans. The Cart Titan participated in the Battle of Shiganshina and rescued Zeke, who had fallen into danger after his fight with Levi.

THE BEAST TITAN

Height : 17m
Holders : Zeke

A Titan with a strong throwing arm and the ability to control Titans with its scream.
This Titan has a throwing technique that involves crushing rocks and throwing them like a pitch, dealing massive damage from a distance. Those who have been injected with Zeke’s spinal fluid and hear Zeke’s scream turn into Pure Titans that will obey his orders, even on moonlit nights. It was because of this ability that Utguard Castle was attacked by the Titans at night.

Révélation

Mikasa et Armin : avançant vers le chemin à l'horizon

Source

tumblr_inline_ouj0j71pAH1sarr45_500.jpg

SHE FIGHTS FOR THE SAKE OF HER PRIDE: MIKASA’S POSITION 

For Mikasa, the battle against the Titans puts her pride on the line. The day Shiganshina fell, her family was destroyed and she only had Eren left. In order to remain close to him, she adopted his resolve and joined the military. However, after the Battle of Shiganshina, her way of thinking with Eren began to diverge. Eren did not give up on fighting for Armin’s life in Shiganshina until the very end, but Mikasa saw no choice but to give up on saving Armin. Will Eren and Mikasa continue having the same perspective ?

HE FIGHTS FOR THE SAKE OF HIS DREAM: ARMIN’S POSITION 

In order to see the ocean with Eren, Armin continues to fight the Titans. Even though Bertholdt was a former comrade, Armin used his weakness against him in order to defeat him. “ Someone who can’t throw anything away will never be able to change anything.” Closely examining the way Erwin lead his life hardened Armin’s resolve, and he was able to throw away his humanity in order to change the world and attain freedom for humanity. After recovering Shiganshina from the hands of the Titans, he reached the ocean, which had been his dream from childhood. This was the dream that he had shared with Eren that had led them forward together, but now their goals don’t align. Now that he has realised his dream, what will he fight for? For what purpose will he use the power of the Colossal Titan ? 

Révélation

L'histoire derrière la création des personnages

Source

tumblr_oudqaau9st1wqlr98o1_540.jpg

Reiner Braun

I gathered the image of the former soccer player David Beckham’s eyes and the eyebrows, Matt Damon in <Saving Private Ryan>, my close friend’s characteristic to make Reiner. His appearance seems bit wild, and maybe scary. But he is a very good sportsman, gentle and kind, and has perfect personality. He is the character that you can sense high potential.

Bertolt Hoover

First of all, I made Colossal titan. And then I thought “What if colossal titan is a human who has weak-hearted and calm eyes, then what kind of character would it be?”. So I made Bertolt. Bertolt is the only character that the design of the titan came first, and then the human form.

Annie Leonhart

She is a small, but highly decorated character. Her hairstyle is based on photos of Avril Lavigne taken by paparazzi. Her name is a joke, like “She is a girl, but her name is ‘Bro’(※In Japanese, ‘Annie’ and ‘Bro’ have the same pronunciation)” And it can be another reason that I liked the nickname “Annie” of the character who appeared in the drama <Kisarazu Cat’s Eye木更津キャッツアイ>.  And I combined “LeonHart” to show her inner strength. I thought the name is edgy, so it’s cool. 

Révélation

Le corps de Marley

Source

WARRIORS

Jeke Yeager
Warchief

Birthday : August 1st
Height : 183cm
Weight : 92kg
Beast titan

Reiner Braun
Vice Commander

Birthday : August 1st
Height : 185cm (4 years ago) → 188cm
Weight : 95kg (4 years ago) → 83kg
Armored titan

Bertolt Hoover (Deceased)

Birthday : December 30
Height : 192cm
Weight : 81kg
Colossal titan

Annie Leonhart (?)

Birthday : March 22
Height : 153cm
Weight : 54kg
Female titan

Porco Galliard

Birthday : November 11
Height : 175cm
Weight : 75kg 
Jaw titan

Marcel Galliard (Deceased)

Birthday : August 10
Jaw titan

Pieck

Birthday : August 5
Height : 155cm
Weight : 42kg
Cart titan

WARRIOR CADETS

Colt Grice
Birthday : August 12
Height : 180cm
Weight : 65kg

Falco Grice
Birthday : February 10
Height : 140cm
Weight : 34kg

Zofia
Birthday : September 26
Height : 142cm
Weight : 34kg

Udo
Birthday : October 7
Height : 146cm
Weight : 39kg

Gabi
Birthday : April 14
Height : 138cm
Weight : 30kg

Le guide l'anime

9781632363848_manga-attack-on-titan-the-anime-guide-primary.jpg?resizeid=3&resizeh=600&resizew=600

La science de l'Attaque des Titans

latest?cb=20160328145336

Interviews et Questions / Réponses

Révélation

Interview et Q/R de Hajime Isayama (Fraut, août 2014)

tumblr_n8l0cwrObP1qblzsno1_1280.png

Source

tumblr_n8l0cwrObP1qblzsno5_1280.png tumblr_n8l0cwrObP1qblzsno6_500.pngtumblr_n8l0cwrObP1qblzsno3_500.png tumblr_n8l0cwrObP1qblzsno4_500.pngtumblr_n8l0cwrObP1qblzsno8_500.pngtumblr_n8l0cwrObP1qblzsno7_1280.png tumblr_n8l0cwrObP1qblzsno10_1280.pngtumblr_n8l0cwrObP1qblzsno9_1280.png

Question - Réponse

Source (attention, il s'agit d'une traduction à partir de chinois, elle même traduite à partir du japonais)

Q: In Captain Levi’s view, who is the best at cleaning?
A: Right now it's Eren.

Q: What does Isayama-sensei want to tell Levi the most?
A: Levi has slight bouts of insomnia, so I want to tell him “Go quickly to sleep.”

Q: Has Isayama-sensei schemed out the final chapter? Considering the fate of Eren’s mother, I hope there won’t be too many more sacrificed characters…we’re anticipating their future development!
A: I have the overall concept and outline of it already, but I still don’t know how the individual characters will develop.

Q: What is the trend inside the walls?
A: Badmouthing the various military units.

Q: Apparently Mikasa is pretty good as singing, what about Eren and Levi?
A: Their focus is not on singing - they’re the type to express themselves via body language.

Q: For Isayama-sensei, which characters do you enjoy drawing the most?
A: Jean and Ymir.

Q: If the Survey Corps members were fans of Momoiro Clover Z, who would each be a fan of?
A: Levi -> Momoka, Jean -> Shiorin, Erwin -> Airin, Hanji -> Reni, Eren -> Kanako.

Q: Captain Levi loves his tea, but does he drink alcohol? What about other characters like Hanji, Moblit, Erwin on the veterans’ side? Who has the highest tolerance?
A: Levi can handle his drink, but the unfortunate Moblit drinks the most.

Q: The Captain is Humanity’s Strongest - but does he hate or fear anything?
A: Mold/Mildew.

Q: I want to imitate the Captain’s method of holding his teacup, but it’s difficult and makes my fingers sore. Please teach me the secret to holding the cup elegantly!
A: It can’t be accomplished after just one attempt. But you will succeed after some practice.

Q: In Vol. 13 of the manga Armin disguised himself as Historia. Was that out of his own will? Or was it Erwin or Levi’s instruction?
A: That was an order from Levi.

Q: What is Levi’s blood type? Since he has a cleanliness obsession, he should be a type A, right?
A: Yes, his blood type is A!

Q: Does the gluttonous Sasha have any food that she dislikes?
A: The food she dislikes are things that aren’t considered food.

Q: I want to understand the exact rank hierarchy of the Captain, is it Commander -> Captain -> Squad Leader? It feels like the Captain has a completely separate position.
A: “Captain” isn’t actually part of the official military ranks (In SnK). It’s a separate position.

Q: The Captain loves cleaning, what is the reason for that?
A: One day I will draw the backstory, please stay tuned.

Q: We have not seen scenes where Levi eats. Does he eat well?
A: In terms of this, Levi is a bit lax with his diet.

Q: Why is Captain Levi short compared to the others?
A: It’s because his concept came from Ushiwakamaru (Minamoto no Yoshitsune) and Astro Boy (Mighty Atom) and Kyuzo (Akira Kurosawa’s The Seven Samurai).

Q: How long does Levi shower for?
A: He takes three-minute “combat-style” showers.

Q: How long does Levi sleep on average? What time does he go to bed and get up?
A: He only sleeps an average of 2-3 hours.

Q: In last month’s chapter Levi seems to have worn a t-shirt from Uniqlo - where does he get his clothes? And out of all the Survey Corps members, who is the most stylish? I think it’s Eld/Erd.
A: The most stylish is Nifa.

Q: Who gave Levi his haircut?
A: He uses clippers to cut his own hair.

Q: Between Levi, Humanity’s Strongest, and Fedor Emelianenko, who is stronger?
A: Fedor Emelianenko. I think the strongest right now is not Cain Velasquez but Daniel Cormier.

Q: Does Levi know that Auruo/Oluo is imitating him? If so, how does he feel about it?
A: He knows. To be honest he thinks that, “It’s annoying…”

Q: What are Levi’s duties within the walls? Hanji does research, Erwin seems to have piles of documents to go through…does Levi have to do paperwork, too?
A: He has a lot!

Q: How well does the Captain handle alcohol? And what kind does he enjoy? I want to know how he behaves while drunk…
A: His tolerance is not bad. To be more specific, he doesn’t get drunk.

Q: Isayama-sensei always promotes the plum wine from your region…do you recommend anything else?
A: Sofuren’s stir-fried noodles and fried chicken, plus “Hibikinosato"s plum wine.

Q: Captain Levi always dresses well, is it like that at night (In the privacy of his own room) and when he’s sleeping, too?
A: He pretty much doesn’t change and just sleeps like that in his chair.

Q: When will Connie grow out his hair?
A: Maybe one day he will take on another hairstyle. You never know!

Révélation

Interview de Hajime Isayama (magazine culturel Brutus, novembre 2014)

l7FnG-Ec15l16vW_TSbb0XDIxbY.png

Source

Saito Tamako, un psychologue, interroge Hajime Isayama, le créateur de l'Attaque des Titans. L'interview a été réalisée chronologiquement vers la fin du tome 14. 

Les thèmes abordés au cours de cette longue interview sont multiples : comment vivre le succès de l'Attaque des Titans, l'inspiration pour l'univers et déroulement de l'histoire, les difficultés rencontrées à l’adolescence, le style de dessin unique, la création des personnages, etc.

- C'est un plaisir de faire votre connaissance. Je lis l'Attaque des Titans depuis la sortie du premier tome, mais c'est maintenant devenu un tel succès que l'on peut le trouver dans tous les magasins. Ressentez-vous une quelconque pression à savoir cela ?
Hajime Isayama : Pas vraiment, j'imagine.

- Cette réalité ne vous a pas encore frappée ?
Isayama : J'ai l'impression que la réalité s'éloigne de plus en plus. Les gens me disent que mes rêves sont maintenant devenus réalité, mais depuis que j'ai gagné mon premier prix à dix-neuf ans, j'ai plutôt l'impression que la réalité se fait de plus en plus lointaine.

- Ne rêviez-vous pas de rencontrer ce genre de succès quand vous débutiez tout juste en tant que mangaka ?
Isayama : Je savais qu'il était extrêmement difficile de vivre des mangas, alors à cette époque mon rêve était simplement de pouvoir gagner assez d'argent pour pouvoir me payer à manger tous les jours et pour pouvoir vivre de mes mangas, même s'ils ne rencontraient jamais un grand succès – je pensais encore moins devenir millionnaire.

- J'ai lu dans une autre interview qu'à l'origine vous ne pensiez pas que l'idée de l'Attaque des Titans pourrait devenir un manga populaire.
Isayama : Je trouvais l'idée géniale personnellement, mais je me suis dit que la plupart des mangakas en herbe devaient ressentir la même chose, et que je n'étais qu'un jeune de plus à sous-estimer la difficulté de ce secteur.

- Il est vrai, cependant, que ce n'est pas le genre de manga que l'on penserait pouvoir plaire à un public de masse.
Isayama : Je n'aimais pas du tout le genre de mangas basés sur le marketing, qui cherchent à savoir quel genre de personnages ou quels éléments de l'intrigue seront populaires auprès des lecteurs. En fonctionnant ainsi, on ne crée jamais rien de nouveau. Alors ce désir de voir quelque chose de nouveau, je l'ai saisi et j'ai décidé d'essayer moi-même.

- Je suis sûr que vous avez trouvé l'inspiration pour votre manga aussi bien dans les jeux vidéos que dans les films, pourtant l'Attaque des Titans dégage quelque chose de très frais, on ne ressent pas vraiment que l'inspiration ait été prise dans quelque chose de déjà existant. Depuis combien de temps en avez-vous eu l'idée ?
Isayama : Comme un ami mangaka plus âgé me l'a dit, les magazines de mangas étaient pleins d'histoires apocalyptiques jusqu'à très récemment, et je pense vraiment que j'ai été influencé par ces mangas.

- Je dirais que l'idée des murs, et cet univers que vous avez créé en général sont assez uniques, pourtant.
Isayama : J'ai eu l'idée originale pour le one-shot appelé Shingeki no Kyojin (l'Attaque des Titans), qui m'a valu mon tout premier prix, puis je n'y ai plus repensé après ça jusqu'à mes 22 ans environ. Lorsque mon éditeur m'a demandé de me re-pencher sur ce one-shot pour en faire une série longue, j'ai alors mis six mois pour trouver tous les détails de ce monde. J'ai toujours l'impression qu'il n'est pas assez approfondi, comparé au niveau des univers sci-fi que mes amis artistes plus âgés créent – je veux dire, je ne lis jamais Mu (magazine japonais sur toutes les choses paranormales) ou rien de tout cela.

- Y a-t-il une part de vous qui souhaiterait voir le monde détruit ?
Isayama : Quoi, comme ''J'emmerde le monde, allez tous en enfer'' ? Oui, ça m'est arrivé d'y penser – par exemple, je me demande ce que ça ferait de vivre dans un monde où il n'y a plus personne, comme dans Je Suis une Légende. Ce ne doit pas être aussi simple de vivre sans eau ni électricité, cependant. (rire)

- Donc vous êtes en train de dire que ça ne vous gênerait pas tant que les infrastructures continuent de marcher ?
Isayama : Je pense que ça ne me poserait aucun problème tant que mon milieu de vie reste intact. Je pourrais facilement vivre la vie d'un ermite si l'on me coupait l'accès au monde extérieur.

- Alors, j'ai lu que vous aviez commencé l'Attaque des Titans en ayant déjà décidé de la fin.
Isayama : C'est que mon éditeur n'avait pas l'intention de commencer à publier la série si je n'avais pas la fin en tête.

- Terasawa Buichi dit qu'il y a deux types de mangakas : ceux qui ne peuvent pas produire un manga tant qu'ils n'ont pas déterminé toute l'histoire, comme Terasawa lui-même et Araki Hirohiko, et ceux qui créent simplement des personnages, et qui les laissent ensuite agir comme ils le veulent. Est-ce que de nos jours les éditeurs de mangas ont tendance à toujours garder une emprise sur le déroulement d'une histoire au fur et à mesure que celle-ci se développe ?
Isayama : Je n'ai travaillé qu'avec mon éditeur actuel, Shintaro Kawakubo, donc je serais moi-même très intéressé de savoir comment cela fonctionne pour les autres artistes. En y repensant, pourtant, je ne crois pas avoir pensé au déroulement complet de l'histoire lorsque j'ai commencé.

- Certaines personnes utilisent des idées qu'elles avaient trouvées avant de devenir mangaka. Avez-vous déjà utilisé des idées que vous aviez eu quand vous étiez encore à l'école ?
Isayama : Je m'imaginais quel genre d'histoire j'inventerais si j'arrivais un jour à faire une série manga, mais je n'utilise aucunes de ces idées dans mon travail actuel, et les cahiers de dessin sur lesquels je griffonnais sont tous bien rangés à l'abri dans la maison de mes parents. (rire) Il est vrai, par contre, que j'ai toujours été attiré par des protagonistes qui deviennent plus fort grâce à une transformation, ce qui pourrait aussi être un désir personnel.

- Vous êtes apparemment un fan de la série Kamen Rider. L'avez-vous beaucoup regardée ?
Isayama : En fait je ne m'y connaît pas vraiment en tokusatsu ; je suis juste un peu attiré par l'idée. Je faisais un blocage sur mon corps étant plus jeune, alors je dessinais toujours des mangas où le héros se transformait, avant même que je ne sois publié.

- Par ''blocage'', vous voulez dire que vous étiez très gêné par votre corps, vous vous sentiez mal à propos de vous-même et des choses que les gens disaient ?
Isayama : Oui, j'imagine que c'est ça.

- Ce genre de problèmes ont tendance à commencer à l'âge du collège, au point où il existe même un terme pour désigner cela, le ''syndrome de la deuxième année du secondaire'' (chunibyo). Pourquoi votre corps était-il un problème ?
Isayama : J'avais l'impression d'être en retard par rapport aux autres, physiquement et mentalement.

- Et des soucis par rapport aux filles ?
Isayama : Ça a pu en faire partie aussi. J'ai grandi dans un milieu rural, alors j'ai fréquenté les mêmes personnes depuis toujours, et c'est devenu assez étrange pour moi quand j'ai vu tous les gens commencer à sortir ensemble tout d'un coup, au collège. Ça me semblait répugnant – nous avions grandi tous ensemble, presque comme des frères et sœurs.

- Mais ce groupe de personnes ne s'est pas mélangé en rentrant au collège ? 
Isayama : Il n'y avait que deux écoles primaires regroupées dans un collège, donc pour chaque niveau il n'y avait que deux classes d'un peu plus de quarante élèves chacune, ce n'était pas une situation très plaisante. Ce n'était pas tellement le fait de sortir avec quelqu'un le problème, mais plutôt la pression des proches et la mentalité à cette période, je n'arrivais pas à m'y faire face.

- Quand avez-vous commencé à vous intéresser aux mangas et aux jeux vidéos ?
Isayama : Au collège. J'avais déjà regardé des animes ou lu des mangas avant ça, comme tout le monde, mais je ne savais pas qu'il existait un tel monde d'otaku jusqu'à ce que je devienne ami avec un fan de Sega au collège.

-Qu'est-ce qui, dans cet univers, vous a attiré ? 
Isayama : J'ai aimé la façon dont la réalité était mise de côté. J'ai aimé l'idée que notre monde pouvait très bien être produit par des électrodes collées à notre cerveaux. J'ai trouvé que ça serait génial si nous étions en fait des batteries pour des machines, comme dans Matrix.

- Il y a une scène dans Matrix où ils disent que l’illusion d'un steak a quand même bon goût. Cela vous poserait-il un problème de ne jamais pouvoir manger un vrai steak ? 
Isayama : Je dirais que je suis plutôt le genre de personne qui s'identifie plus à l'illusion qu'au réel.

- La réalité était-elle douloureuse pour vous au collège ?
Isayama : Oui, je détestais me sentir aussi pathétique. On peut le voir dans mon manga aussi – s'il y a un type de personnage qui défini mon travail, je pense que ce serait une sorte ''d'éternel adolescent''.

- Ça m'étonne que vous vous trouviez pathétique, après vous être emparé de cette angoisse d'adolescent et l'avoir transformée en énorme succès. 
Isayama : Les mangas que j'aime ont des personnages matures, cool et sympathiques. J'aimerais faire un manga comme ça moi aussi, mais je me rends de plus en plus compte que ce n'est tout simplement pas le manga que je crée.

- Parce que vos personnages n'ont pas une vie couronnée de succès et saine ? 
Isayama : Eh bien, en fait je n'ai pas beaucoup d'expérience moi-même. C'est triste de savoir que je ne pourrai pas devenir comme les artistes plus âgés que je respecte.

- Je ne pense pas que vous devriez nécessairement devenir comme les gens que vous respectez, de toute façon. Qu'ont-ils qui vous semble si inaccessible ?
Isayama : Le contenu de leur manga. L'Attaque des Titans est bien accueilli, mais il existe tant d'autres œuvres incroyables, et j'aimerais qu'elles reçoivent plus d'attention et d'éloges.

- Vous ne pensez pas que vous méritez les éloges que vous recevez, alors. 
Isayama : Non, et je m'en sens coupable.

- Mais l'industrie du manga est comme un jeu, n'est-ce pas ? 
Isayama : Nous partons peut-être tous du même point, mais tout le mode ne reçoit pas forcément l'accueil qu'il mérite. Je dirais que la chance est la moitié de ce qui détermine le succès.

- C'est plutôt étrange que vous ayez toujours cette impression. 
Isayama : Et je penserai peut-être toujours cela.

- Le design des titans est laid – ou peut-être que terrifiant serait le mot plus approprié – d'une manière que je n'ai jamais vu auparavant. Où avez-vous eu cette idée ? J'ai lu dans une interview que vous étiez influencé par Jigoku Sensei Nube.   
Isayama : Ce n'est peut-être qu'une habitude. Quand j'étais gamin, j'ai commencé à dessiner des choses laides, et arrivé au collège je ne dessinais plus que ça. Tout comme chacun a son propre style d'écriture, je pense que mon art est idiosyncrasique pour moi, à sa manière ; ça a un peu dérouté les gens, et ils ont accroché.

- Cette laideur ne s'atténue pas au fur et à mesure que vous vous améliorez en dessin ?
Isayama : En fait, je trouvais que mes dessins étaient assez jolis quand j'ai commencé, mais maintenant je me sens de plus en plus mal car je me rends compte combien mon art est maladroit et bizarre.

- Quand vous dîtes ça, vous voulez parler l'aspect de votre art en termes de composition, n'est-ce pas ? Il y a beaucoup d'artistes – comme Morohoshi Daijiro et Iwaaki Hitoshi – avec des styles idiosyncrasiques très convaincants, bien qu'ils ne soient pas précis en termes de composition. 
Isayama : J'ai été surpris de voir que certains des lecteurs de Iwaaki Hitoshi trouvent qu'il dessine bien.

- Je n'aurais jamais pensé le contraire jusqu'à ce que j'entende d'autres personnes en parler. Il est vrai qu'il lésine beaucoup sur les détails et qu'il a tendance à dessiner ses personnage portant toujours les mêmes vêtements, mais je trouve que c'est ce qui lui réussit.
Isayama : C'est ce que je ressentais quand j'ai commencé – j'avais peur d'avoir un art trop ordinaire et de me perdre dans une immensité d'autres artistes ordinaires . Mieux vaut avoir un art dont on se souvienne, même s'il est mauvais, et se démarquer.

- Vous êtes bien loin d'être ordinaire ; ce que vous avez là est vraiment unique. Je remarque pourtant que vous êtes encore très critique envers vous-même, malgré les éloges innombrables que vous recevez.
Isayama : Je dois être ainsi, sinon je perdrais tout contrôle. C'est également parce que je sais que personne n'aime les gens à l’ego démesuré, alors l'autodérision est en quelque sorte une attitude, aussi, je pense.

« ORZ », le one-shot qui a valu à Isayama de remporter le Prix Weekly Shonen Magazine Newcomer, et qui est ensuite devenu son premier manga à être publié dans un magazine grand public. Le texte sur la gauche le décrit comme ayant reçut le « prix du pire art de l'histoire ».

-Vous êtes-vous basé sur vous-même pour certaines caractéristiques des personnages, comme pour Eren ou Rivaille ?
Isayama : Je n'ai pas le sentiment qu'ils soient moi, vraiment. J'ai déjà entendu certains artistes que je connais affirmer mettre une partie d'eux-même dans leur travail, mais je n'ai pas l'impression que ce soit mon cas.

- Est-ce que vous commencez d'abord par créer le monde, que vous peuplez ensuite avec des personnages ? 
Isayama : Oui, je commence par l'univers, et je créer ensuite les personnages basés sur le genre d'acteurs dont le milieu a besoin.

- Est-ce qu'Eren est le premier personnage que vous ayez créé ?
Isayama : C'était Mikasa, en fait.

- Mikasa est ce que certains pourraient appeler un personnage guerrier féminin – ou même une tentative calculée de créer un personnage moe, peut-être.
Isayama : C'était mon plan depuis le départ de faire d'elle la fille que l'on verrait sur les affiches, posters, et autres produits commerciaux.

- Son nom vient apparemment du navire cuirassé.
Isayama : J'ai une théorie selon laquelle les personnages portant des noms de navires de guerre deviennent populaires, comme Katsuragi Misato et Akagi Ritsuko dans Neon Genesis Evangelion et Nagato Yuki dans La mélancolie de Haruhi Suzumiya. D'où le nom de Mikasa.

- En parlant de navires de guerre, est-ce que vous jouez à Kantai Collection ?
Isayama : Je n'y joue pas, mais j'ai le pressentiment que j'accrocherais vraiment si jamais j'essayais.

- Evangelion est devenu un énorme succès en raison de la grande implication du réalisateur dans la série. Étiez-vous un fan ?
Isayama : Oui. La façon qu'ils avaient de dessiner les robots géants était vraiment cool, d'une manière différente de tout ce qu'on avait pu voir avant. La manière dont Hideaki Anno a supervisé l'animation des choses telles que les faisceaux lasers et autres – la série est un vrai régale. Je n'ai jamais pu accrocher au manque d'assurance du personnage principal, par contre.

- Les gens sont divisés de ce côté-là : Il y en a qui parviennent à s’identifier à Shinji et à se plonger dans la série, et il y a ceux qui sont rebutés par lui. Eren est quand à lui un protagoniste qui se développe, et il apporte une bouffée d'air frais en ce sens. Est-ce que créer ce personnage était une réaction envers les histoires sekai-kei ( histoires dans lesquelles les problèmes relationnels en rapport avec le protagoniste ont un impact directe sur le sort du monde) ?
Isayama : Difficile à dire. Pour ce qui est de faire de lui un personnage fort ou faible, j'avais initialement prévu qu'il soit faible, mais je n’avais aucune idée de ce qu'il serait réellement au fond de lui. C'est un personnage que j'ai créé parce que l’histoire avait besoin de quelqu'un comme lui.

- Un moyen par lequel expliquer l'univers que vous aviez créé.
Isayama : On pourrait dire ça. Eren est un personnage que j'ai commencer à comprendre au fur et à mesure que j'avançais. Quand le manga a été adapté en anime et que j'ai pu entendre la voix d'Eren, ça m'a aidé à l'étoffer. Je veux dire, des Titans apparaissent tout d'un coup, et il n'est pas seulement effrayé, mais il décide d'aller les tuer ? Ce n'est tout simplement pas réaliste. Mais alors qu'il affirme toutes ces choses, on peux percevoir sa faiblesse dans la voix de son doubleur, ce qui donne l'impression qu'il bluffe. J'ai depuis commencé à aimer Eren de plus en plus.

- Intéressant – donc le personnage s'est précisé pour vous lorsque vous avez vu l'adaptation en anime ?
Isayama : Exactement. Araki Tetsuro, le réalisateur, et Kaji Yuki, le doubleur de voix d'Eren, ont eu une bonne approche de lui. L'impact de l'anime sur le manga est loin d'être insignifiant.

- Le personnage le plus populaire est le Capitaine Rivaille. Est-ce que vous vous attendiez à cela ?
Isayama : Rivaille est un personnage que j'ai créé par accident alors que je griffonnais, et j'ai tout de suite su que je tenais quelque chose. J'ai par la suite regardé Watchmen, et le personnage de Rorschach m'a vraiment marqué. J'ai décidé que je voulais essayer de faire un personnage similaire, alors je l'ai combiné à l'esquisse que j'avais faite.

- Il semble être particulièrement populaire parmi les fans de yaoi. Ce n'est pourtant pas ce que vous visiez à l’origine, si ? 
Isayama : Vous savez, ces fans ne vont sûrement pas être déçues d'entendre ça, mais j'ai peut-être moi aussi un peu de fangirl yaoi en moi, parce qu'en le créant, quelque chose m'est passé par la tête et je me suis dit, ''Les fans de yaoi vont l'adorer celui-là''. Je visais quelque chose de similaire à Hiei dans Yu Yu Hakusho, et dés que j'ai eu terminé sa conception, je savais que je tenais quelque chose.

- J'ai entendu une théorie selon laquelle les fans de yaoi auraient tendance à être attirées par les mangas avec des univers moins complexes et des personnages plus développés, ce qui a du rendre l'Attaque des Titans difficiles pour elles. On y retrouve les personnages, mais l'univers est si complexe.
Isayama : Je suppose que dans l'idée, il est préférable de laisser certains trous dans le manga pour que le lecteur puisse les remplir par lui-même, non ? Dans l'Attaque des Titans c'est le cas avec la qualité médiocre des dessins. Le développement des personnages et de l'univers sont déjà là, mais il y a la place pour que le lecteur participe de manière positive en dessinant mieux.

- Vous pensez ? Je ne suis pas vraiment sûr d'être d'accord avec ça. (rires) Il est vrai par contre que c'est un manga qui donnerait envie de créer des spin-off (séries dérivées), oui. Auriez-vous envie de travailler sur l'un de ces spin-off vous-même ? 
Isayama : Je ne comprends pas vraiment l'intérêt derrière tous ces doujinshis, et je n'ai jamais rien eu à voir avec toute cette culture même avant d'être publié. Il y a déjà eu un jeu vidéo de tir où je trouvais que le design des personnages était bon mais que les visuels n'étaient pas à la hauteur, par contre, alors peut-être que moi aussi j'ai un peu cette envie en moi.

- Donc vous comprenez les désires du public de combler les lacunes d'une œuvre de fiction. 
Isayama : Je dirais que oui. L'art de Kantai Collection est très bon, mais c'est un jeu vidéo, alors je ne vois pas ça comme une œuvre visuelle, et parfois il m'arrive de penser que quelqu'un pourrait s'associer à CGI et vraiment apporter quelque chose. Je suppose que laisser des tels vides permet d'attirer des fans qui s'impliquent plus.

- Il y a beaucoup de mangakas qui font leurs débuts avec les doujinshis, qui représentent un très gros marché de nos jours, alors c'est un peu surprenant d'entendre que vous n'y étiez pas du tout intéressé. Est-ce parce que vous aviez déjà créé votre propre univers ? 
Isayama : J'ai toujours voulu créer ma propre œuvre originale, oui.

- Il est vrai qu'à part les résumés peu détaillés à l'arrière de chaque volume, il n'y a rien de très 'méta' dans l'Attaque des titans, et vous ne produisez aucun spin-off non plus. 
Isayama : Parce que ça repousserait les gens. Je n'aime pas quand les personnages agissent comme s'ils savaient qu'ils étaient dans un manga. Peut-être que les lecteurs apprécieraient ça, mais personnellement je ne veux pas faire ce genre de choses.

Certaines sources d'inspiration d'Isayama : Knights of Sydonia de Nihei et son adaptation en anime, le manga ARMS de Minagawa Ryoji, et d'autres magazines et mangas de MMA (Mixed Martial Arts).

- Êtes-vous attiré (moe) par certains personnages ? Ou êtes-vous plutôt du genre à vous plonger complètement dans l’œuvre de fiction ? On pourrait dire que Mikasa occupe une position similaire à celle de Ayanami Rei.
Isayama : Si tant est que cela soit possible, je me sens plus attiré par des kaiju (montres) comme Mothra et Godzilla, ou les guerriers géants dans Nausicaa. Je suis obsédé par les monstres laids depuis que je suis tout petit – pas seulement les kaiju, mais les choses géantes en général. Vous savez, Tokyo Skytree (la Tour de Tokyo) et ce genre de choses.

- Tokyo Skytree, hein ? (rire) Certaines personnes ont un fétiche pour les femmes géantes. Qu'en est-il pour vous ? 
Isayama : Je ne savais même pas qu'il existait ce genre de fétichisme à l'époque. Quand l'Attaque des Titans a commencé, il y avait un groupe de gens intéressés par ce genre de choses qui était apparemment intrigué par le manga, mais ils se sont vite rendu compte que je n'étais pas l'un des leurs et se sont désintéressés de moi.

- (rire) Eh bien, ce qui intéresse les fétichistes de choses géantes sont des corps normaux de femmes, mais géants, après tout. Alors, est-ce que c'est le fait de devoir lever les yeux pour voir ces créatures géantes qui vous attire ? Par exemple, disons comme dans la scène où on voit le Titan Colossal au dessus de nous, au début de l’histoire. 
Isayama : J'aimerais qu'un événement pareil arrive dans la vraie vie. Voir un géant apparaître tout à coup entre les immeubles serait très divertissant.

- Donc vous n'aimez pas seulement ce genre de choses, vous aimeriez qu'elles se produisent en vrai. (rire) Un des designs qui m'a vraiment impressionné était le Titan Bestial (ou Titan Singe). Comment avez-vous trouvé cette idée ?
Isayama : J'aime imaginer des monstres depuis tout petit, et ça m'a par la suite conduit à m'intéresser aux sports de combat. Il y a un artiste de MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) que j'apprécie qui s'appelle Alistair Overeem, qui a un petit visage et les muscles trapèzes très développés, ce qui lui donne un physique vraiment intimidant ; c'est de lui que me vient ce design. Et puis, les singes sont effrayants de manière générale. (rire) Ce qui est effrayant chez eux aussi, c'est le fait qu'ils ressemblent justement aux humains, je pense.

- Avez-vous vu la dernière adaptation hollywoodienne de Godzilla ? 
Isayama : C'était formidable. Les scènes comme celle où la caméra part d'en bas et remonte quand Godzilla rugit – on voit que c'est fait par quelqu'un qui sait ce qu'il fait, quelqu'un qui comprend vraiment les films kaiju. La scène du rugissement, par exemple : elle dure beaucoup plus longtemps que ce à quoi je m'attendais, et ça l'a rendu bien plus efficace. J'ai appris toutes sortes de choses du film, je trouve, en termes de mise en scène et autre. Gareth Edwards est comme Guillermo del Toro, le réalisateur de Pacific Rim, dans le sens où les effets visuels passent en premier. Il fait partie de mon top trois des films de cette année.

- Que pensez-vous de la série Gamera Heisei de Kaneko Shusuke ? 
Isayama : Je l'ai vue. En fait, l'inspiration pour mes géants mangeurs d'hommes me vient de Gyaos dans Gamera : Guardien de l'Univers. La façon dont ils l'ont représenté en train de manger des humains était géniale – même en ayant vu tous les films précédents de Godzilla, celui-ci nous fait nous demander s'il est sage de le montrer à des enfants.

- Alors, vous êtes passé du moe au tokusatsu. 
Isayama : Très juste. Vous savez que les personnages moe ont tendance à avoir de grands yeux, n'est-ce pas ? Quand je vois ces yeux, je ne peux pas m'empêcher de me demander quelle forme peuvent bien avoir leurs crânes. J'aime quand les yeux sont petits. (rire)

- L'Attaque des Titans est un manga qui met les capacités physiques en avant, ce qui est rare de nos jours. Il y a eu une sorte de boom de personnages machos dans les mangas shonen vers les années 1980, comme avec Ken le Survivant et Jojo's Bizarre Aventure pendant un temps, mais j'ai l'impression que cette tendance a disparu à présent. 
Isayama : Oui, les gars dans Jojo étaient tous vraiment costauds jusqu'à la partie 3. En tant que fan des sports de combat, les limites du corps sont précisément ce qui rend le tout intéressant.

- On peut voir dans les tout premiers volumes de l'Attaque des Titans à quel point le corps est imprévisible et ne fait pas toujours ce qu'on lui demande. 
Isayama : Je pense que j'avais effectivement cette idée en tête. Par exemple, je rêve beaucoup que je suis pourchassé par des monstres énormes et que je dois fuir, mais je trébuche tout seul et je n'arrive pas à avancer. C'est dans cette idée, je pense.

- Et alors dès le début, il y a ce Titan Colossal, avec tous ces muscles. 
Isayama : J'ai effectivement une source d'inspiration très claire pour le Titan Colossal. J'ai utilisé l'application « Dessine en 30 Secondes » faite pour s’entraîner à dessiner le corps humain. À l’origine j'avais fait cet énorme titan avec un corps semblable à de la pierre, et avec des dents qui le recouvraient, et je voulais l'utiliser comme personnage emblématique du manga, mais j'ai ensuite pensé que des muscles seraient beaucoup plus cool à la place, ce qui a donné le résultat que nous connaissons maintenant.

- Est-ce que vous-même vous faîtes de l'exercice ? 
Isayama : Parfois, j'ai une soudaine envie de courir, alors je vais faire un sprint. J'ai aussi un sac de sable dans une autre pièce, dans lequel j'aime bien taper ; c'est un des exercices que je peux faire sans jamais m'en lasser. J'ai également une barre de traction.

- Vous cherchez à devenir plus robuste, c'est ça ? 
Isayama : Non, c'est simplement que je ne me sens pas bien si je n'ai pas un peu de courbatures… je n'aime pas ne pas avoir de douleur musculaire par exemple, parce que ça me donne l'impression que je m'atrophie ou quelque chose comme ça.

- Et vous ne dessinez pas votre manga au digital, non plus. 
Isayama : Exact, je le fais à la main. C'est difficile de passer au numérique en plein milieu d'une série. J'ai l'impression que je n'arriverais pas à bien dessiner si je devais le faire numériquement – la façon analogique me convient mieux sûrement.

- Il est vrai qu'il est probablement plus facile d'obtenir la touche parfaite pour l'Attaque des Titans en dessinant à la main. 
Isayama : La version papier que les gens lisent est plate, mais la version originale que je dessine est en fait en trois dimensions, suivant comment j’appuie sur le crayon et que j'enfonce ma mine. J'aime forcer sur le papier quand je dessine.

- Est-ce qu'il vous arrive de faire des fiches d'information sur les personnages pour ne pas vous perdre ? 
Isayama : Je sais que je devrais m'y mettre, mais je ne le fais jamais.

- Cependant, comme vous continuez d'ajouter de nouveaux personnages, il ne vous arrive jamais de vous tromper ou de les mélanger ? 
Isayama : J'ai effectivement tendance à oublier beaucoup de choses, alors je reviens juste en arrière pour relire le manga.

- C'est justement ce que je voulais vous demander – s'il vous arrivait d'oublier les détails de ce monde que vous avez créé en vous concentrant sur les dessins. 
Isayama : Oui, parfois certaines personnes s'y connaissent mieux que le créateur. Pour ma part, il y a encore beaucoup d'informations que je n'ai pas mises dans le manga, y compris des idées auxquelles j'avais pensé mais que j'ai finalement décidé de ne pas utiliser, alors ça porte à confusion.

- Je vois – vous traitez beaucoup plus d'informations que ce que vous mettez sur papier. Vous arrive-t-il d'avoir envie de lire l'Attaque des Titans simplement en tant que lecteur ordinaire ? 
Isayama : Oui – je voudrais que les gens s'emparent de cet univers et inventent des histoires à leur manière. C'est quelque chose que je ne pourrais pas faire moi-même. Tout comme les films de zombies forment un genre, j'aimerais que les géants mangeurs d'hommes puissent en être un aussi.

- Au moment où vous avez été publié pour la première fois, il y avait beaucoup d’œuvres basées sur les zombies, et je me demande parfois si votre manga n'est pas une sorte de variation de ce genre. Est-ce que vous aimez les films de zombies ? 
Isayama : J'aime bien, mais je ne suis pas expert en la matière. La première chose de ce genre que j'ai regardé était Resident Evil, et bien que les gens me disent qu'il est inexcusable de ne pas avoir vu les films de George A. Romero, je ne m'y suis toujours pas penché.

- Mettons les classiques de côté, que pensez-vous des films de zombies récents ? 
Isayama : Je n'ai pas vu World War Z. En fait je préfère les fantômes plutôt que les zombies – Paranormal Activity, ce genre de choses. Les trucs qui vous donnent la chaire de poule, plutôt que ceux qui vous font sursauter dans votre siège. Ça n'a pas forcément besoin d’être effrayant – je dirais que je préfère le bizarre, l'étrange.

- Le bizarre et l'étrange : exactement ce que l'on retrouve dans l'Attaque des Titans. De puissants ennemis font leur apparition dans une période de conflits constants, et pourtant l'humanité n'arrive pas à se souder pour les combattre. Ce côté sombre de la nature humaine, le côté qui donne la priorité aux intérêts personnels et qui empêche les gens de s'unir, ça me semble être un reflet du monde réel. Était-ce intentionnel ? 
Isayama : Je regarde simplement les informations, et j'écoute les remarques du critique de film Tomohiro Machiyama (scénariste du film live de SnK) , mais oui, c'est l'idée. Ma première inspiration était le jeu pour adulte Muv-Luv Alternative, dans lequel des extraterrestres envahissent la Terre et l'humanité se retrouve au bord de l'anéantissement, pourtant les gens continuent de s'entre-déchirer. C'était vendu avec un gros livret de commentaires. Dans ce jeu, le Japon était ressorti victorieux de la Seconde Guerre Mondiale et avait conservé son système impérial, et le continent Eurasien était déjà occupé par les extraterrestres, faisant du Japon le front de la guerre de résistance.

- Mais il s'agit d'un jeu pornographique. 
Isayama : Eh bien, il y a bien du contenu pornographique dedans, mais je suis sûr que cette partie n'intéresse personne. Les fétiches sont un peu trop étranges – des filles se font disséquer par des aliens, ce genre de chose. (rire) Il y a par contre des personnages moe, et je pense que c'est inspiré de Puella Magi Madoka Magica pour les parties très hardcore et gores, où les humains se font manger et tout. En l'interdisant aux moins de dix-huit ans, cela leur permet d'avoir moins de restrictions et ils peuvent ainsi créer quelque chose au contenu assez profond.

- Tout comme le réalisateur Kurosama Kiyoshi, qui a fait ses début avec la série « Roman Porno » de la Nikkatsu. 
Isayama : Je pense que les jeux pour adultes sont un bon terrain pour faire évoluer les artistes.

- L'Attaque des Titans est aussi très populaire à l'étranger. Pourquoi pensez-vous que ce soit le cas ? 
Isayama : Oui, j'ai même pu participer à des événements organisés à Singapour et à Taïwan. Je pense que cette popularité vient de l'idée accrocheuse de l'histoire.

- Alors, en voyant les réactions des lecteurs à l’extérieur du Japon, vous avez vraiment eu le sentiment que le manga était suivit là-bas aussi. 
Isayama : Les histoires qu'on peut résumer en deux lignes ont un avantage sur celles plus complexes, qui nécessitent une lecture attentive. Ce sont des séries qui peuvent vite percer et rencontrer le succès.

- Vous pouvez résumer l'Attaque des Titans en deux lignes ? 
Isayama : C'est l'histoire de l'humanité qui se retrouve au bord de l’extinction suite à l'arrivée de géants mangeurs d'hommes.

- D'accord, je vois. Donc, revenons-en au Japon maintenant : Êtes-vous le genre de personne qui lis les commentaires écrits sur votre travail, sur Internet ou autre ? 
Isayama : Oui, parce que je commence à m'inquiéter quand je n'entends que de bons commentaires. Si je devais écouter uniquement ce que disent les gens qui ont aimé le manga, alors tout ça ne serait pas très subjectif. J'essaie de tout écouter, y compris les commentaires durs, et je m'en sers pour améliorer le manga. Les gens écrivent ce qu'ils pensent sur Internet sans penser que l'auteur les lira un jour, alors je me plais à penser que ces commentaires sont particulièrement honnêtes.

- Est-ce qu'il vous arrive d'être en colère contre la critique ? 
Isayama : Ça m'arrive. (rire) C'est quelque chose qui m'affecte beaucoup, et je crois que je m'en soucie trop, parfois. 

- Bon… l'intrigue est devenue assez compliquée ces derniers temps.
Isayama : J'en suis rendu au moment de l’histoire où j'ai le moins d'assurance. C'est un passage que je ne pouvais tout simplement pas omettre, mais j'ai le sentiment que ce n'est pas très divertissant. Jusqu'à présent j'ai toujours été sûr de pouvoir offrir un manga divertissant sans avoir besoin de donner trop de détails sur le reste du monde, mais le fait de dessiner cet arc, où les humains s'affrontent entre eux sans qu'il n'y ait plus aucun de titan qui entre en jeu, me fait réaliser à quel points mes capacités sont très limités.

- C'est surprenant de l'entendre. Même en supposant que vous écriviez les dialogues et tout ce qui s'en suit chapitre par chapitre, vous avez déjà en tête l'intrigue générale, alors je n'aurais pas cru que ça serait plus difficile que de trouver une direction pour l'histoire chapitre par chapitre. 
Isayama : J'ai l'idée générale, mais les détails sont encore très vagues, alors c'est presque comme si je devais tout imaginer.

- Est-ce que ce sont les différents changements politiques qui rendent ça difficile ?
Isayama : Le problème est l’absence de repères chronologiques sur lesquels s'appuyer lorsque l'on crée un contexte historique tout entier.

- Est-ce que vous vous souciez de beaucoup de choses lorsque vous créez le manga ? 
Isayama : Eh bien, chaque arc fait généralement quatre tomes, et ils sont tous déjà à peu près planifiés, mais chaque fois que je commence un nouvel arc je suis très nerveux et je me demande si je serai en mesure de le terminer. J'y arrive toujours à la fin, mais cette fois j'ai vraiment peur de ne pas y arriver.

- Eh bien, j'ai vraiment aimé lire les derniers chapitres, et j'ai hâte de voir ce qui suit. Merci de m'avoir accorder un peu de votre temps aujourd'hui. 

Révélation

Interview de Kawakubo Shintaro, l'editeur de SnK (Natalie Comic website, mars 2017)

tumblr_inline_oo1a51OgXP1ql6fxf_500.png

Source

Ce n'est que la fin de l'interview : 

Interviewer (Q): Last question. I think the readers are wondering about it so I want to ask you. Kawakubo-san, you said “Shingeki no Kyojin is gonna finish in three to fours years” in 2014 during an web interview. And Isayama himself said around the same time that “I want to finish the manga in approximately three years.” So does it mean the manga is gonna end this year or in the next year?

Kawakubo (A): Ah here it is. I have no wish for the manga to extend beyond the current plan. Isayama-san does not intend to purposefully increase the number of manga volumes, but the way toward the ending is getting stretched longer. It is really painful for us that we seem to have cheated the fans, and I truly apologize for it. 

Q: You are saying there are more things that he wants to draw?
A: Yes, part of the reason is that. Plus, there keeps coming a situation in which we think “it can be finished in one chapter” but in fact it takes two chapters to do. Furthermore, it is also because Isayama doesn’t want to finish the manga in a careless way. 

Q: If we compare this process to climbing up Mount Fuji, which stop are we at right now? (Note: Mount Fuji has ten official stops to help you estimate how high you’ve climbed.)
A: If I answer this question, it may later seem that I lied to the fans again. (laugh) However, Isayama-san says “I would like to end this manga soon” every time when we are discussing the work, and I will support him to make it with all my efforts.

Q: While we publish this interview on the day when Volume 22 is released, the manga story is also approaching a huge turning point. 
A: Indeed. We finally managed to reach a certain destination in Volume 22 and we can enjoy it along with Season 2. Every single episode in Season 2 is such a climax that it is so exciting!

Révélation

Interview de Hashizume (Pash Magazine, mai 2017)

Source japonaiseSource de la traduction

tumblr_inline_otyct80qy41rsam2c_500.jpg

Hashizume est le doubleur de Betholt.

Profile: Works for Aoni Production, notable roles: Delico (GANGSTA), Thien (Terra Formars).

Even though he is labelled as a traitor, somehow I still want him to survive” 

Bertolt’s real identity is revealed in episode 31. How did Bertolt’s VA Hashizume-san react to that shocking truth? How did he perform this? We are overwhelmed with many revelation episodes.
During the first season, I underwent the pain of not being able to understand his feelings.

Journalist : Hashizume-san, please let us hear your impression on Bertolt.

Hashizume : I have the impression that Bertolt is the most normal seeming (TN:) among the Shingeki no Kyojin (SNK) characters. Like, even in the current real world where we live in, he looks normal. He is highly competent, but because up until now he hasn’t had the chance to show his skills, that’s why he doesn’t stand out. More than that, I feel it’s because of his reserved and quiet personality. “Oh such person exists!” Something like that. I think the most fascinating thing about him is his human-like existence, that he can be easily empathized by others (real human).

TN: Bert is like the normal Japanese guys’ standard image. Usually anime characters don’t represents the actual Japanese in real life but Bert is very much like a normal Japanese guy.

Journalist : How do you feel after not performing Bertolt for a while?

Hashizume : The last time I performed him in the original SNK series was 4 years ago, but in between, I performed him in SNK Junior High, games, and events. They were not the original SNK him (Bertolt), but at least I got in touch with the character to a certain degree. However, it felt like I performed him in a parallel world in SNK Junior High, because Bertolt’s age in Junior High and actual SNK is different. The world atmosphere is also different. That’s why I feel that it has been a while since I performed him. Despite all of that, he barely spoke in season 1 *laugh*.  The first time he spoke was in episode 3 of the first season – that was the first time I performed as him – the scene where he talked to Eren and Armin about being attacked by a titan. During the recording of that scene, it was around the time where he was revealed as the Colossal Titan in the manga. I was so surprised, “How did it end up like this?!” *laugh*. I was pretty much bewildered during the recording. He was earnestly talking to Eren and co. I was wondering whether that story was a lie, something like that *laugh*. I was fairly stressed with how I should perform Bertolt at that time. I couldn’t understand how he felt when he talked to Eren & co.

Révélation

Interview de Yuki Kaji et Daisuke Ono (juillet 2017)

Source

tumblr_inline_oscg74d9GW1rsam2c_500.jpg

Yuki Kaji est le doubleur de Eren et Daisuke One est le doubleur de Erwin.

tumblr_inline_oscgxlvwBa1rsam2c_500.jpg

Eren Yeager: A boy who dreams of the world outside the wall. After he graduated from the Training Corps, he joined the Survey Corps, which attempts to advance outside the walls. He has strong motivation, so he tends to be reckless.

tumblr_inline_oscgzfDUuU1rsam2c_500.jpg

Erwin Smith: The Commander of the Survey Corps. Ruthless with excellent leadership, even Levi acknowledges his superiority. Basically, he almost never shows his emotion.

tumblr_inline_osch3uYGP01rsam2c_500.jpg

The thrill of the series lies on the fear that your position may crumble at any point in time.

Journalist (J): Finally, after 4 years, SNK season 2 is here!

Kaji (K): Although it seems like in these 4 years I have been constantly involved with SNK recording projects—such as collaboration events, narrations, extra story parodies, with of all those various works, when I finally returned to the main series’ atmosphere, part of me still feels anxiety. We need to go back to that timeline when Eren and co. just learned the shocking truth about Annie’s true form.

Ono (O): It has been a while since I played Erwin. During season 1, I personally didn’t grasp the full picture of Erwin and I’d thought, “I want to know more about Erwin. I want to know more about SNK”. The fact that season 2 exists fills me with happiness.

K: Ever since season 1, there are the charms from shocking developments, (character) portrayals, and extravagant battle scenes. However, my impression is that season 2 will be added with the charm of mystery. If I were to say that season 1 was filled with an intense, blazing red flame, the image of season 2 is the core of that flame, a calm blue flame that slowly burns.

J: It feels like the composition has completely changed from fighting against the titans, whose origins are unknown, to the doubt that the truth may be about human vs human.

K: That’s why there is an increase of scenes without titan transformation. Like the scene where Eren was intensely debating with Reiner, Bertolt, and Ymir.

O: It made people think that the enemy is not just mindless beasts that simply attack, but it’s like they might be more intelligent… In season 1 Erwin asked Eren, “What do you see?” I felt that question was also directed to us. I feel that it is getting more interesting, not only just the story. At the same time, we can also see deeper into characters’ backgrounds. Sasha’s father, who speaks in Oita *(prefecture in Japan) dialect also made his appearance.

K: When we know the background, we will feel more affection. In season one, the story revolves around the perspective of a group of people with Eren as the center. However, in season 2, there are many occasions where Eren doesn’t make his appearance and other members receive intense spotlight. I can strongly feel that each character is actually alive and it doesn’t feel that they are just part of a flock. That is the reason that every death is heavy…

tumblr_inline_oschhzqWQl1rsam2c_500.jpg

J: As soon as season 2 starts, it gave such a huge impact with Mike meeting his heroic end.

O: Well… in season 1, most of the strong impression I got was of his olfactory senses.

K: Also his image was of a skilled soldier with a unique habit. Now it has been revealed what he thinks and his commitment.

O: He is someone who upholds the “we haven’t lost as long as we continue fighting” belief and his capabilities are second only to Levi. By all means, it was shocking to see someone like him defeated in one brief second. At the same time, all the things that have been piling up at that moment disappeared, and I finally felt that I have returned to the SNK.

K: I understand. Me too. I also felt the real sensation that this is the SNK world, when I returned to the moment where Oluo & co., the old Levi’s squad were just gone.

O: It is scary because your foothold can suddenly crumble.

J: Ono-san, have you checked out the SNK manga?

O: I have heard about developments afterward from people around me and I ended up checking it up myself because it occupied my thought.

K: On the contrary, because I am playing Eren, I try not to find out future developments. However, I think it is a good idea to know about future developments when you’re performing a character like Erwin.

O: Well, even though I asked Isayama-sensei about Erwin, the answer was unexpected. “Erwin is modelled after Clark Kent.” *laughs* Anyway, the only way is to look at the comic. Unexpectedly, Erwin had a long-standing appearance.

K: When I saw Ono-san at the recording of the first episode of season 1, I was quite bewildered, “Was Erwin actually here in the manga (first chapter)?” *laugh*.

O: The current him is here now because he is one of the SC soldiers during that expedition. Actually, it is inevitable. As my feelings grew deeper along with his appearance, I couldn’t help doubting whether he is actually a bad guy or not. But in fact, due to his pure desire to learn more about this world and titans, I got the philosophy of his behaviour. Because I could finally understand him, I changed my approach on his portrayal this time. For I, who has been blank for these 4 years, this is a positive direction. On the contrary, for Kaji-kun, this may be a bit heavy after 4 years of blankness.

K: The atmosphere after recording was indeed different, there might be some anxiety when you finally returned as the leader back then… Even though we were naturally pulled back when it started. When we gathered at that moment, each of us was trying to grasp what we need to do (we had to work individually to grasp it). There had been a lot of worries.

tumblr_inline_oschmqTVln1rsam2c_500.jpg

O: The atmosphere was like when everyone puts their lives on the line.

K: There are a lot of good things, but as a voice actor, this is a role with more hardships. There were almost no fun… That’s why everyone compensates at SNK the Real Game *laugh*.

O: Even people who were supposedly busy also came.

K: I could feel that everyone seriously aimed to complete this series successfully. I feel that this also can be the other way of enjoying the SNK series that delights everyone.

J: Speaking of VA, new cast like the Beast Titan’s VA, Takehito Koyasu and others, have also gained some attention.

O: There are many (recording) takes where Koyasu-san tried to perform in various patterns. It was through trial and error to get the right one.

K: I think that’s the way to achieve the right performance. The current form is the result from the perseverance in finding “how far the Beast Titan could talk”. Even for the staff, they wondered a lot on many things, like what kind of effect should be applied to the voice, how to credit Koyasu-san’s name.

O: It feels like in the midst of darkness where nobody knows the truth.  Everyone is fumbling and pursuing for the light. For Erwin, that is the most intriguing subject, but I personally really like Koyasu-san’s performance, so I asked for permission to observe the recording.

J: In season 2, the shocking truth that Reiner and Bertolt can transform into titans, was revealed.

K: When I read the manga, I totally didn’t realize Reiner and Bertolt’s real form. I was just shocked… It was also because the revelation was done in a casual manner, behind the other characters’ conversation, so I was really surprised! *laugh*

tumblr_inline_oschu7h6Jj1rsam2c_500.jpg

O: I was not performing at that scene, but was surprised to hear that an important dialogue was performed like background chatter, just like in the manga.

K: To retain the flowing atmosphere of the scene, I even wanted to perform the scene with a pre-recording method, before the drawings were completed. Moreover, Reiner’s VA, Yoshimasa Hosoya-san, performed the confession in such a natural way at that moment, I was shaken just like Eren…That’s when I felt connected to Eren’s reaction, “You traitors!” Despite the connection through rage, during the recording, I felt not only anger but also the sadness of despair… It’s obvious since he thought that they were comrades, but they turned out to be enemies.

O: To be honest, I can sympathize with how they act based on their own objectives. I don’t know if it’s because I am playing Erwin, but I came to understand that each of us has our own justification.

K: There was also a moment where Reiner even forgot that he was actually lying. He had been deceiving himself for long.

O: My chest hurts when I think that each SNK character is fighting their own conflict during the time not shown in the anime. The next episode with Hannes-san’s big scene makes my heart wrench. When I think about it, there are a lot of people in this world who live, not for themselves, but for others. Yet they don’t talk it and only spit out their real feelings at their deathbed. Because of that, it made me feel like, “you should have said it out earlier…”

K: That’s so SNK. *laughs*

O: Nanaba also left an impression in season 2.

K: Since the manga, her death has left such an impression. The song’s influence was really effective. I thought, “The most impressive part of season 1’s song will be played here, right?”

tumblr_inline_oschxc0z431rsam2c_500.jpg

J: Speaking about drama, the relationship between Christa and Ymir, has been uncovered bit by bit.

O: Honestly, at the beginning, I thought Christa was only cute. I didn’t think that she would have such drama. Sorry about it.

K: I didn’t even know that the Ymir character existed. She didn’t have much presence (in season 1) since her name was displayed as ‘Freckles’. To think that in season 2… *laugh* In summary, all of the characters’ drama is really interlocked in a complicated way. It is more like Eren doesn’t have much presence. Moreover, rather than being the one who saves, he is the one that is being saved *laugh*.

J: Rather than being a hero, he is more of a princess *laugh*.

O: That’s right!

K: This series says that even if you can transform into a titan, it doesn’t mean that you become the strongest, and that includes Eren too.The shonen manga theory does not apply to SNK.

O: It’s not all about if Eren works hard, he can do it. I think from Erwin’s point of view, all of us rely too much on Eren.

K: It’s not impossible, wanting to rely on the obtained titan transformation power.

O: While having that thought, it turned out that the enemies have more people who have that ability, and also there are collisions among comrades…This story is about how far this present situation can deteriorate. However, I am glad to find that each character’s real face was revealed because they didn’t rely on Eren’s power. In season 2, maybe it is about many soldiers’ stories, not about Eren. Although there were painful moments, as long as people witness our way of life without missing any single moment— whether it is Erwin’s or mine—we are happy.

K: Despite only knowing this much, I think it is amazing that every week when I am watching the show being aired, I want to know what will happen next. The series is still ongoing. It will become even more interesting and also even more painful. Please enjoy it with resolution. Thank you!

tumblr_inline_oschxtXyyd1rsam2c_500.jpg

Q: Which character would you want to have as a superior or subordinate?

O: I definitely want Levi to be my subordinate.

K: Are you speaking as Erwin? It will be a serious hardship for someone like Ono-san to deal with Levi.

O: If it’s Ono Daisuke…it’s impossible. No, it’s possible if we worked together on the radio (program)* for 10 years *laugh*.

*T/N: Erwin’s VA & Levi’s VA have a radio program together. The radio program has been on going for 10 years. 

K: If you say that, won’t Hiroshi Kamiya (Levi’s VA) get mad at you? Is that alright? *laugh*

O: Seems like this is not alright, let’s end the conversation here. *laugh* Nevertheless, I admire the prowess of Levi being a one-man army, a guy who makes it through to the core by himself. Whether I can manage him is another matter.

K: On the contrary, I want to be Erwin’s subordinate, because he is the man that Levi placed his trust in, and that equals the person who we should follow, right? Well, since he is the leader, who gives extreme orders, there must be some complexity in the subordinates’ point of view.

O: In season 1, Armin made a reference to Erwin: “In order to achieve something, they need to leave behind their humanity”. The fast growing Armin has the potential to become Erwin’s successor. He realized that such extreme decisions are necessary in order to lead mankind… My personal thought as Ono Daisuke is that Armin is Erwin’s successor, but I have mixed feelings about it. I also don’t want him to be his successor.

K: You don’t want Armin to end up like him. As Eren, I think so too.

tumblr_inline_oscidaBzPS1rsam2c_500.jpg

Kaji’s message to Eren: Maybe it’s “I understand your sadness, but keep fighting!”. As for Reiner and Bertolt, “What was that smile for?!” I personally want to scream it out.

tumblr_inline_oscidqwiQe1rsam2c_500.jpg

Ono’s message to Erwin: “What can your current self see?” I want to ask him that.

Révélation

Q&R de Hajime Isayama (Febri volume 42, juillet 2017)

tumblr_ory5pcOVZy1rtjn7oo1_1280.jpg

Il y a à la fois une longue interview et une phrase de questions-réponses dans le magasine, cependant l'interview n'a pas encore été traduite.

Questions - Réponses

tumblr_ory5pcOVZy1rtjn7oo2_1280.jpgtumblr_ory5pcOVZy1rtjn7oo3_1280.jpg

Source

- What is your most essential drawing tool?
Isayama9mm 2B pencil lead.
As it’s both thick yet soft, it’s easy to erase cleanly, so I enjoy using it the most. I don’t really understand the differences between all the manufacturers, so as long as the lead is this exact type, I’m fine with whichever.

- What do you do when you’re not working?
IsayamaI play video games.
My nephews have been visiting me recently, so I have them bring their controllers and play Splatoon with them.

- Who is your favorite character in Shingeki no Kyojin?
IsayamaReiner.
As time progresses, my favorite character keeps shifting. My favorite is Reiner at the moment - I want to draw more and more of Reiner.

- Favorite music as of late?
IsayamaKiyoshi Ryuuji.
Even though my all-time favorite is Shinsei Kamattechan, who sang the SnK S2 ED, my favorites as of late are Creepy Nuts and Kiyoshi Ryuuji. For Kiyoshi, every single one of his songs has been a hit - even those he produced for others - which is an incredible success rate. I feel like he’s like Hyadain-san (T/N: Famous Japanese composer and lyricist), only he can also sing and dance.

- Favorite manga as of late?
IsayamaBoku-tachi ga Yarimashita (T/N: We Did It).
The author, Kaneshiro Muneyuki (T/N: The artist for the title is Araki Hikaru), is my contemporary at Bessatsu Shonen. It’s just such an incredible piece of work. Initially I already had good feelings toward him because we started out together, and when I reached the middle of the story I suddenly went, “Eh? This manga is a masterpiece…?” I even got goosebumps. He created an unbelievable story, so I’m thrilled as his contemporary.

- Favorite video game as of late?
IsayamaWii U’s Splatoon.
Even though the game has been on sale for two years already, I’m still playing it consistently. It has been a long while since I started, but I still feel like I’m terrible at the game. Nonetheless, through my personal efforts, I experienced what it means to “achieve” different degrees of success for the first time. I can’t get enough of it!

- When did you start drawing manga?
Isayama2nd year of high school (T/N: That’s equivalent to junior year).
But if you count just single illustrations, I already started when I was in daycare. But I remember that it wasn’t until 2nd year of high school when I actually organized drafts and began to create manga.

- How much do you sleep on average?
IsayamaAbout 8 hours.
When I first started serialization, I had a little less sleep. But lately if I don’t get enough sleep I can’t do anything else.

- Recent interests?
IsayamaWatching foreign drama series.
I’m currently anticipating the 7th season of Game of Thrones, which will start in July. Other than that, I’m hesitating on whether or not I should watch House of Cards (T/N: YES YOU SHOULD). When I watch something exciting, the amount of energy I use up is similar to if I read all of One Piece in just a week. Hence, I’m actually becoming a little scared about doing this (T/N: Committing to another show) [Laughs].

- If you lived within the Walls?
IsayamaI would be a farmer.
Because I want to avoid all responsibilities [Laughs], so I want to live on the border and just plant crops. Though I can imagine that this kind of lifestyle has its own hardships, I would never be a soldier.

- What’s the best thing about being a mangaka?
IsayamaEverything.
If I didn’t become a mangaka, I feel like I would’ve descended into poor health - to the extent where I couldn’t even go to the convenience store. I am totally serious [Laughs].

- Favorite movie as of late?
IsayamaIt Follows.
It was probably my first time watching such a scary film. Of course, the storyline is exciting, but on top of that, the actual elements of horror were fantastic. Because this movie describes something that happens at your own household, I felt jumpy and scared in my apartment for two weeks after I watched it.

- If you weren’t drawing manga?
IsayamaI would become an average member of society.
But if possible, I would probably become a craftsman. Before when I worked at an internet cafe, no matter how dirty the cubicles became, I always bet my entire life on making it spotless again. It was almost like Nietzsche’s “Sublimation” psychology [Laughs]. Thinking back, I guess that could just be part of an artisan’s personality, too.

- What do you do when you experience writer’s block?
IsayamaI dive into other creative works.
Basically other films, drama series, and manga - and I search for elements I enjoy. But because this world is filled with so many incredible works that I’ll never fully experience - even if I spend my entire life trying - as long as I commit to the ones I enjoy the most, my life can progress with inspiration. Sometimes, I almost feel like there is no actual need for me to draw manga [Laughs].

- The best thing about your hometown (Oita prefecture)?
IsayamaDelicious plum wine.
When I think of what’s most appealing about my hometown, plum wine immediately comes to mind. My family back home are plum farmers, so even though I sound like I’m self-promoting my relatives’ business, please do give our Yumehibiki plum wine a taste! [Laughs]

- Your first impression of Tokyo?
IsayamaSurprisingly warm/familiar.
At the railroad crossing of Egota, my head somehow got knocked by the crossing gate there, and I thought, “So Tokyo isn’t just all about tall buildings…” My memory contains moments of calm like this [Laughs].

Révélation

Interview de Hajime Isayama (Guidebook 4, août 2017)

f19a392c39748368a3092478619b3509.jpg

Source

HAVING REACHED THE SEA, WHAT NOW FLASHES WITHIN ONE’S MIND?

“Approaching the Story’s Core” - Isayama Hajime-sensei’s extended interview!

Eren and co. have finally arrived at the sea, but the moment is also a sign of how Eren and Armin’s perspectives have deviated?!

- For your illustration of tankobon 22’s cover, Eren and the others have finally come face-to-face with the sea! What is your current mood whenever you look back at this scene?

Isayama : “To reach the sea” has always been the centerpiece of the story and suggests the idea, “If we actually manage to arrive at these circumstances, that likely means no more titans exist outside of the walls.” It almost serves as a prize and trophy for Eren and the others after they’ve eliminated all the Titans, so I did breathe a sigh of relief at being able to illustrate this moment successfully. At the same time, I also started to conceive an expansion for the other side. I did feel a helpless sense of, “So what happens now?” From the series’ beginning seven years ago to now, this was like leaving your family home and moving to a brand new piece of land.

- Since they’ve collected the prize, Eren and everyone should be pretty happy, right?

Isayama : Well, for the trio of Eren, Mikasa, and Armin, rather than rejoicing due to feelings of success, it’s more like, “We can’t remain kids forever.” From the perspective of the Survey Corps, with Commander Erwin and other Squad Leaders still present, the three of them continue to exist as youth. However, as the figures they depend on pass away one by one, Eren and them now must fill these positions. However, my personal struggle is that I cannot say their childhoods have officially “ended”…for this point, please await the upcoming chapters.

- I understand! Isayama-sensei previously said in other interviews, like for Shingeki no Kyojin INSIDE KOU, that “Eren is a character being dragged along by the story,” “Eren was a slave of the story.” Have these impressions changed?

Isayama : I now feel that my response of “Eren is dragged along by the story” has become the essence of Eren’s character. For Mikasa and Armin, they have developed a habitual mindset of revolving around the axis that is Eren. But at the very beginning, that sentiment was more favoritism…usually when you see that your relatives or siblings have encountered hardship, you would extend a helping hand. Even if onlookers question, “Why are you helping them?,” part of the reason is hard to properly explain. Eren’s relationship with Mikasa and Armin is like this.

- I previously thought that Eren and the others already experienced the most crucial points of one’s lifetime. But after speaking with you, it seems like they will continue to encounter rough waters.

IsayamaTruthfully, around tankobon volumes 17-18 before the Return to Shiganshina battles, I recreated (T/N: Isayama used the katakana for “refrain” here) moments from volume 1 and volume 2, and that fashioned a feeling of the story reaching climax - perhaps the readers felt the same. For example in Saving Private Ryan, the opening sequence contains a moment with a mirror and a piece of gum. When you reintroduce the same elements during the climax, the audience will sense that “the conclusion is near.” The scene with the troops setting off for Shiganshina was produced with this same purpose. When Eren ate with his friends before they embarked, where he then argued with Jean, and the trio left the mess hall to converse…in tankobon volume 1, after these similar moments came Hannes’ first appearance.

- In tankobon volume 18, there is even the scene of trio reconfirming their desire to see the sea!

Isayama : Yes there is. However, the Eren then was different from Armin, who fought for the goal of even just seeing the sea once. In truth Eren is not that committed to the sea. Even though Eren and Armin became great childhood friends because they shared the dream for “the world outside the walls,” but the root of that dream has some slight differences. Armin possessed a curiosity for knowledge, and held onto the thought of “I want to see the sea.” On the other hand, Eren viewed it as, “The sea obviously exists, but we don’t have the freedom to see it” - and he felt indignation towards that. He was not interested in the sea itself. Other than this, throughout the entire story, all the situations Eren became involved with continues to change, and his grasp of the sea itself subsequently fades. The gradual clarity of how the two of them have diverged in perspective, and Armin’s own shock towards this realization - that’s the story of that scene in volume 18.

- That’s how it is!?

Isayama : When they reached the sea, the shell Armin held symbolized “something that only exists in the sea.” He tells Eren, “Look at this.” However, Eren does not glance towards it as he was focused on more serious thoughts. “The shell that was ignored” was then forsaken within Armin’s hand. This could be “the end of a dream” though maybe even moreso “the end of adolescence,” but I added some elements of both during that scene. The trio that always stayed together but will go their own ways after graduation…that’s somewhat the feeling.

- Then is it time for the trio to embark on their own paths!? If we based everything on this hypothesis, the tankobon volume 22 cover with the trio facing the sea now seems to hint at future disturbances.

Isayama : Regarding that scene - from the very beginning, I’ve always wanted to make it appear ominous. If I had to admit it, there’s also a feeling of, “Wouldn’t this be a pretty good final chapter?” I hope that the upcoming storylines will some day change the possible nuances within this scene for even me.

Révélation

Pages du Guidebook en japonais

Source

tumblr_ouosoadJcv1rtjn7oo4_1280.jpg tumblr_ouosoadJcv1rtjn7oo3_1280.jpg tumblr_ouosoadJcv1rtjn7oo2_1280.jpg

THE DEATH OF ERWIN, WHO LIVED FOR HIS DREAM

After losing his friend within an equal relationship, Levi will…?

- Erwin losing his life at the Battle at Shiganshina - that was quite a shocking development.

Isayama : To have Erwin perish during that point was pre-planned. I always wanted to portray Levi and Erwin as having an equal relationship. Erwin bears an innocent motivation to “seek the truth” and a need for atonement, since his actions had led to his father’s death. He joined the Survey Corps due to these two reasons. Then little by little, he ended up in the position of leading this group, while he himself wavered between the roles of “a child who chased his dream” and “an adult who carried responsibilities.” In order to affirm his self-identity, he fabricated the false ambition of fighting “For humanity’s future,” and he continued to fool himself.

- A man viewed as someone who “abandoned his humanity” actually never abandoned his own dream and purpose for living. It’s truly astonishing.

Isayama : This is the same for Levi. The reason Levi always operates alongside Erwin is because he interpreted Erwin’s “For Humanity’s Future” as an altruistic intention that Levi never considered himself, so Levi ends up adopting it as his own life’s mission. Hence, Levi also requested for Erwin to become a man who is “loyal to the mission” and “can make composed decisions.” When he discovers that Erwin actually has a selfish goal like his “dream,” it can be said that he felt betrayed. However, he also recognizes that this person whom he cannot hope to surpass actually has “an innocent, childlike side that chases dreams.”

BECAUSE OF LEVI’S SINGLE STATEMENT, ERWIN WAS ABLE TO ABANDON HIS DREAM FOR THE FUTURE

- Because he understood that this great man is actually just like the rest of humanity, Levi told him, “Abandon your dream and go to hell.” That’s such a cruel choice…

Isayama : Our conversation now reminds me of the situation back then. When I drew that scene, what I considered was “the moment humans reveal their truest nature is when they have been pushed to the brink of death.” For Erwin, this happened when the Beast Titan drove him to the verge at Shiganshina, and his true self materialized severely. During that moment, what he displayed to us was that wavering between fulfilling his “dream” through the basement and the “responsibility” of fighting the Beast Titan to the death. Seeing Erwin in this state, Levi felt as if he were urged on by Erwin - “I hope you tell me to ‘abandon my dream and go to hell.’” He comprehended Erwin’s desire at that time. In this sense, it’s exactly because of Levi’s statement that Erwin was finally able to abandon his dream and transform into the adult who prioritizes responsibility.

LEVI ACCEPTED ERWIN’S SACRIFICE FOR HUMANITY AND CHOSE HIS FATE OF DEATH

- But right before his passing, what Erwin recalled was his time with his father, in the classroom where his dream supposedly took seed. For Erwin, that was a happy memory, right ?
Isayama : How should I put this…the feeling is that he died without knowing the answer himself. But even maintaining this state of “not knowing” was seemingly Erwin’s own choice. With that said, we can’t say that he never regretted this…perhaps he had felt that at some point. Truly, during that moment, I illustrated the panels while thinking, “Everyone is a slave to something.” Perhaps Erwin was enslaved by his “dream.” And as long as he lives, he cannot find freedom from it - only in death is there liberation. For Erwin, Levi abandoning his rescue is also using death to release Erwin from his shackles.

- Does Levi understand Erwin’s mindset?

Isayama : Yes. The scene where Levi decided Erwin’s fate - he was influenced by his interactions with Kenny. Levi still had the experience of being separated from Kenny during his childhood. He was constantly troubled by the thought of “Kenny left because I couldn’t fulfill his expectations.” When the Uprising occurred within the walls, and he confronted Kenny again as an enemy, Levi sought to meet what couldn’t be satisfied previously. In the end, the underground caverns collapsed and caused grave injuries to Kenny, but Kenny didn’t save himself by utilizing the serum. Instead, he entrusted it to Levi before dying. From Levi’s perspective, the Kenny who always survived by being selfish actually did something selfless in his final moments - that shocked him immensely. Because of that experience, Levi didn’t revive Erwin. He accepted Erwin as human and chose to let him die.

Speaking of which, I am remembering something. People tend to say, “True happiness is when you don’t fulfill your dream.” This indicates that for a person, “continuing the pursuit of a dream even during the last seconds” is the best kind of life. I kept thinking about this notion as I drew Erwin’s final moments.

- There really is this idea of “Only when you have impossible dreams can you keep striving forward for them.” However, the consequence of that choice was that Levi lost the irreplaceable existence that was Erwin. From then on, where would Levi find his purpose for fighting ?

Isayama : He is currently dangling in the air rather aimlessly. Having stayed with Erwin until his end, he also felt as if he fulfilled his role. Of course, I think he still has the goal of killing the Beast Titan. After Erwin’s death, he’ll probably let Armin fill in those missing parts in the Survey Corps? In tankobon volume 18, as everyone searched for Reiner within the wall crevices, I had hoped to juxtaposition Erwin and Armin as “the past” and “the future” as I drew. Erwin perished without fulfilling his dream while Armin satisfied his - from here on out, Armin is forced to confront the realities ahead.

Révélation

Source

tumblr_ovddox11Rb1rtjn7oo1_1280.jpgtumblr_ovddox11Rb1rtjn7oo4_1280.jpgtumblr_ovddox11Rb1rtjn7oo3_1280.jpg

ISAYAMA-SENSEI’S FACE-TO-FACE INTERVIEW WITH QUESTIONS FROM MINGEKI!

– We collected questions from online fans from the official fan website, Mingeki. The first question is, “Even though very brutal battles continue on, for our characters, what places and moments calm them?”

Isayama : While in the Survey Corps, they constantly pace back and forth, but there aren’t many personal items in their rooms. Therefore, what calms them are probably the times and places they experienced together with their comrades. Basically, locations that are familiar to them. In tankobon volume one, there was actually a scene where some characters were setting up cannons together on top the walls, but not many opportunities like that existed. Even if you were able to keep calm while standing alone on the wall, that kind of unusual circumstance [in volume one] is even more calming. A soldier should not waste resources, after all. [T/N: Not certain what Isayama means by this last sentence, but it may have something to do with Sasha stealing meat?]

– Ah, so it’s like that. It’s true that even during off times, everyone is asked to maintain their military instincts. The next question is, “Please tell us about how the soldiers spend one of their days.”

Isayama : When the Survey Corps aren’t on an expedition, they will train for the next one - whether it’s practicing for extended journeys or servicing their weaponry. Depending on the person, there might be many meetings that they have to join. When training concludes, sometimes they could receive the privilege to visit their home.

– Since their nerves are constantly heightened, always on edge - that must be why there are cases like what you described before, when there is a sense of healing while spending time with comrades. Now to the final question, “Do the characters have special routines and diets that enhance physique and maintain health?”

Isayama : It has to be strength training. Even though calisthenics is good as well, the core of the soldiers’ fitness regimen is probably still anaerobic exercise, which can cause sore muscles in a short period of time. Reiner already had a brawny physique during his trainee days, but that wasn’t due to exercise and rather inherited from his parents. Reiner’s father, who debuted in tankobon volume 23, is also in pretty great shape. The MMA fighter Fedor Emelianenko has a strong build, but it also doesn’t seem to originate from training. Reiner’s somewhat similar to that. Just like hammer throw athlete Murofushi Koji and Hulk from Brazilian soccer/football, they were all fated to have that body type since birth. Speaking of which, the Marley Arc is set four years after the Battle at Shiganshina, so Reiner is still growing. Please prepare to update that character data [T/N: Isayama seems to be speaking to his editor here]!

– I understand! While we’re on the topic, if the 104th had an arm wrestling contest, who would win?

Isayama : First place is definitely Mikasa - she’s so strong it’s practically cheating. Then Reiner would be second. Eren and Jean tend to win at times but lose at other times. Even though they argue a lot with each other, but at times the two of them will agree to come to terms early on, as if initiating a sense of skinship.

ENOUGH ABOUT “ROBOTS?” 
DRAWING CLOSE TO ISAYAMA’S FIXATION WITH THE BATTLE OF SHIGANSHINA AND THE MARLEY ARC!

– Looking back, there were a lot of interlocking, staggered scenes throughout the Battle at Shiganshina. It was truly an event that provoked reader reactions!

Isayama : I felt like I had released everything I had bottled up since the beginning. The Beast Titan tossing so many boulders was a scene I wanted to draw for a long time. They acted like canister shots propelled from shotguns, sending multiple, diffused onslaughts from a single direction. I really wanted to have the Beast Titan carry out this type of attack. Once I confirmed this detail, as well as the showdown with the Colossal Titan in Shiganshina district, I had hoped to extend the length of those scenes. When I first conceptualized the Colossal Titan’s appearance, even though his physical qualities hadn’t been finalized, at some point I decided that Eren and Colossal Titan’s duel “must be a closing battle that involves sacrifice.” If I had any regrets, it was that I wanted to explore Eren and Reiner/Bertholt’s relationship even more in-depth. I would’ve illustrated scenes of Eren being respectful towards Reiner, as well as how in Eren’s eyes, Reiner was someone “he could not surpass.” [T/N: This explains the various changes to SnK anime season 2 to give ReiBert some more early development!]

– During the interview within Shingeki no Kyojin OUTSIDE Kou, you mentioned that you “illustrated Colossal Titan and others as if they were giant mecha.” [T/N: Isayama uses the katakana for “robot,” but the genre he is describing is mecha in English]. The Battle at Shiganshina and the Battle against the Mid-East Union in the current Marley Arc can be described as “mecha-style” warfare, so they speed up the readers’ heart rate a whole lot!

Isayama : After I completed the panels, I felt, “It would be just fine even if I stopped drawing these robot-looking things” [T/N: Isayama is expressing the fatigue/frustration that he felt back then]. A human face contains emotions and other softer points, and I can change up my illustrations rather smoothly. However, to draw rigid things such as robots, I have to portray them from countless angles. It’s really challenging.

– I never thought I would see actual machinery in Shingeki no Kyojin!

Isayama : It’s like this. For the earliest battle in the Marley Arc, I felt overpowering anxiety even before I drew the scene - even now I can’t seem to erase that feeling. In the first chapter of the Marley Arc (Volume 23′s Chapter 91), drawing the armored train was truly so difficult. We had discussed many, many different designs - some were even more complex than the version we selected. But once we considered the situation, we decided on a simpler model. Even so, I still ended up dangerously close to my deadline after rushing to finish the manuscript. Outside of that, the story’s setting transitioned from the “fantasy world” of pre-Marley Arc to an imitation of our real world from about 100 years ago, so the amount of research involved was quite extensive as well.

– I was quite astonished when the Cart Titan from the Battle of Shiganshina District changed up her gear!

Isayama : That was an influence from when I really liked Zoids. Chapter 92 had a whole page dedicated to the Cart Titan’s debut, but by deadline day that page was still completely blank! To give the Cart Titan that mask was me stealing from my own high school sketches, so the design process was pretty smooth. However, the equipment on Cart Titan’s back was hard to draw…I contemplated how the Titan would carry that weight, and I created the concept of having ropes secured upon a column in four directions, which lifted the machine gun turrets that were being operated by soldiers. Despite the difficulty, sketching the draft of this was still fun.

– The Marley Arc not only takes place in a different setting, the characters are brand-new as well. For an ongoing manga, this was putting all your eggs in one basket…

Isayama : When I drew the first pages of tankobon volume 23, I had reassessed the structure of SnK’s entire story. Even though there were scenes I absolutely had to portray at that point, I still felt quite uneasy, because I didn’t know if the readers could accept that kind of development. I was very certain, however, that this feeling was different from the unease I experienced when Shingeki no Kyojin first started serialization. Back then, my anxiety was much more intense. I wasn’t sure whether the series would become tankobon, and I didn’t know whether I could become an author for a living. “For sure the serialization will be halted near the beginning…” I had thought the probability of this happening was fairly high. But despite my nerves, I didn’t just naively continue my work up to the current storyline - rather, I kept challenging myself while I drew. It has been a pretty enjoyable experience.

– Is that because what you’re drawing now is a different world from before?

Isayama : To begin with, illustrating new characters felt fun. They basically took the places of the main cast, but rather than regarding them as brand-new, I drew them under the notion of “I’ve seen these people somewhere before.” We hadn’t witnessed what rested on the other side of the sea until now, but in reality, these people’s livelihoods are similar to those within the Walls. Hence, even though I had decided that Marley Arc would be us looking at Gabi’s growth from Reiner’s perspective, I still didn’t center the story around Reiner during the arc’s first chapter (Tankobon volume 23′s chapter 91). Since that was the beginning of the Marley plotline, I ensured a story composition where no character had been previously seen by the readers.

– In chapter 95, all the Titans, from the Armored Titan to the Jaw Titan, have “defensive” and “offensive” types of responsibilities. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that. I’m anticipating a deep exploration of the Titans’ new sides!

Isayama : I had always wanted to draw what kind of kids Reiner and them were, how the military utilized the Titans’ abilities, who their opponents were, what they were fighting for, etc. But it was pretty hard to draw battles where the Titans actually used strategy.

– So that’s how it was! But I’m sure the readers were anticipating that, too. I want to ask what scenes you wish to draw from here on out…

Isayama : If the opportunity presents itself, I would probably like to portray Armin’s development. He was never the most apt at fighting, but his current position basically forces him to the frontlines - and he even acquired the Colossal Titan’s ability. Up until this point, he faced all struggles with the motivation of “seeing the sea,” but from now on, he will need to confront everything as actual problems. I have many moments that I want to depict, but if I describe them out loud now, they do all involve future developments, so…I’m just going to present everything through drawing the manga!

Révélation

Source

tumblr_ovh5qix28o1rtjn7oo2_1280.jpgtumblr_ovh5qix28o1rtjn7oo1_1280.jpgtumblr_ovh5qix28o1rtjn7oo4_1280.jpgtumblr_ovh5qix28o1rtjn7oo3_1280.jpgtumblr_ovh5qix28o1rtjn7oo6_1280.jpgtumblr_ovh5qix28o1rtjn7oo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_oufgx3KJ8Y1wqlr98o1_1280.png

Source

- Do characters(104th trainee corps) have any favorite muscle training menu?
Isayama : It is a pressurized muscle training. Physical exercise is fine too, but to squeeze the muscles quickly, the anaerobic exercise is required. Reiner has a bulky body since he was in the training corps, but it is not due to training, it is inherited from his parents. His father, who appears in volumes 23, is well-built, you know. Mixed martial arts star Fyódor Yemel'yánenko, has a solid physique, but it seems that he didn’t made his body on purpose. Reiner is like that. He was predestined to have such a body since he was born, like a hammer thrower Koji Murofushi, or a Brazilian soccer player Hulk. Four years passed since the battle of shiganshina district, so Reiner grew taller. Please update his profile.

Révélation

Interview de Hajime Isayama (Illustrate Note Magazine 43, 2017)

Source

tumblr_ou23fdNlgK1rtjn7oo8_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ou23fdNlgK1rtjn7oo9_r1_1280.jpgtumblr_ou23fdNlgK1rtjn7oo10_r1_1280.jpgtumblr_ou23fdNlgK1rtjn7oo2_1280.jpgtumblr_ou23fdNlgK1rtjn7oo1_1280.jpg

INTRODUCTION (Image 2)
Having served as sustenance for Titans, the humans living under 50-meter walls experienced a false sense of peace and security for the first time - in exchange for their freedom. This is the popular, impactful storyline of shounen manga Shingeki no Kyojin. On the one hand, the appeal of this series of course rests in the story’s originality, but it also stems from the richness of its characters. Those who appear within are not flawless males and females - rather, each person endures their own mental struggles and invests their entire being into battle. Here, author Isayama Hajime exposes the strategies behind SnK’s character designs, as well as what personal ideas he has invested into them.

ISAYAMA HAJIME & QUESTION 01 (Image 3)

SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN – Creating Unparalleled Characters

The setting is an unknown time and an unknown location. Within the fictitious world where humanity is an endangered species, a variety of characters emerge, each possessing charisma that increases the depth of the series. Regarding Shingeki no Kyojin’s character designs, we approached creator Isayama Hajime with inquiries from three directions: “Conceptualization,” “Unique Features,” “Growth.”

CAPTION: Protagonist Eren (Right). His mother was eaten by the Titans, and he is a young soldier who possesses intense anger as well as a desire for freedom. Colossal Titan (Left), designed as 60-meters tall. His black, round eyes are attention-grabbing and don’t match his rather grotesque posture. 

CAPTION: Eren’s childhood friend Mikasa. Black hair, black eyes, positioned as the last of the Eastern Sea people.

CAPTION: Eren’s fellow cadets. From background to personality and unique physical traits, the ten individuals were all drawn very differently.

Question 01. How were the characters conceptualized ?

– Please tell us your process in coming up with these very distinctive characters.
Isayama : The gist of Shingeki no Kyojin’s ending was already decided at the series’ start. The story was born first, and within the key characters many were created for the sake of expanding the plot, Eren especially. He bears the responsibility of carrying the story and wants to confront each and every obstacle straight on. If we view him from our more dominant position, Eren’s never-changing fighting spirit is what sets the foundation for his character.

– How did you visualize the personalities ?
Isayama : Most of the time I had some actual references. Compared to me needing to think from scratch, I consider it more practical to absorb outside influences. For example, Mikasa was modeled after a customer whom I met while working part-time at a net cafe. Back then I constantly wondered, “How would I fabricate this character?” And the moment I saw that customer I thought, “Just like that!” I immediately grabbed a receipt next to me and sketched some ideas on the back. The concept for the Eastern Sea tribe, and even including how Mikasa wore her scarf, was via the details I gathered back then. Moreover, even though I would use athletes, friends from my hometown, etc. as inspiration, what I look for isn’t a well-portioned, beautiful face,but rather a strong, eye-catching face.

– How do you manage this many characters in a long-running series?
Isayama : I always save the original drafts from my early deliberations on a character and use them as a starting point, even if the drafts were mere scribbles that I somehow magically came up with. As this is a long-running series, the more you draw, the more your idealized version of the concept evolves. If I feel like my drawings have turned odd, I’ll refer to the original drafts again, and then attempt a return to the right track.

– At the same time, your acute illustrations of the Titans have become their own topic.
Isayama : The Colossal Titan’s debut in chapter one can be deemed as the symbol for the entire series - a skinless, gargantuan monster. However, his eyes remain that of a “spineless youth” - I gave him very thick double eyelids and whale-like eyeballs. The rest of his physique is frightening and artificial, but as long as there exists a dissonance, the Colossal Titan naturally becomes more realistic. Eight years ago, when I first achieved serialization, I understood very well that “No one will pay attention to a newbie’s manga, so discontinuation is inevitable.” Under such a realization, I considered the idea that, “Whenever someone mentions ‘Shingeki no Kyojin’ - they should think of THAT thing.” Thus, I decided to create an icon for the series first - and that’s how Colossal Titan came to be. To me, a shounen manga cannot survive without these more commercialized elements.

MAKING: (Image 4)
A Levi Pencil Sketch Tutorial from Isayama Hajime

Levi’s appearance in pencil. “I start by drawing a cross within the facial contour. Levi always seems like he 'hasn’t slept for three days,’ but because he’s calm and collected, I’ve never drawn on him the sweatdrop motif that often appears in manga.” Isayama states. The base lining is done with a 2B 0.9mm mechanical pencil. In the actual manuscript, after penciling comes a Zebra G Pen for inking.

QUESTION 02 (Image 5) 

CAPTION: Eren’s good friend, Armin. His appearance isn’t that of a soldier in order to showcase that while he isn’t well-versed in fighting, he excels in terms of intellect and brain power.

CAPTION: The soldier with arms crossed, Levi. He is conceptaulized to be 160cm tall and weighs 65KG. He is always “looking up” (T/N: As in literally) to his comrades.

Question 02. How do you apply unique traits to a character ?

– What is your trick to enriching a character with distinct features ?
Isayama : If you are referring to the characters in the manga - you don’t have to make sure every part of him or her needs to be appealing/attractive. Rather, you should draw them in a way that causes people to become preoccupied with their physiques, because this is how the reader will feel more intimacy with them. For example, Eren’s good friend Armin. Even if he has western features, I gave him a more rounded nose that inspires extra affection towards him. Levi is Humanity’s Strongest Soldier, but he has an unexpected disposition that is almost disappointing - to be frank, he is short (A chibi). However, this special attribute is just like that of Astro Boy and Ushiwakamaru, where there is a “David can defeat Goliath” type of implication. (T/N: Isayama doesn’t actually say the names David/Goliath in his answer - just the idea of a smaller figure being victorious). For Eren, I previously had him set as having eyebrows that weren’t so dense, because he is often angry and widens his eyes. However, I wasn’t able to achieve this look because my drawing skills were subpar back then (Laughs). (T/N: For the record, we aren’t sure how anger directly influences eyebrow density, either, but we think this means Isayama didn’t know how to express a character’s fury without giving him/her severe eyebrows)

– What are you especially careful about when adding unique traits ?
Isayama : Consider the 3DMG worn by the soldiers in order to battle in the air, where they hold two swords when engaging with Titans. No matter the soldier, they use the exact same strategy to fight. In many action-based shounen manga, there are usually special skills or insta-kill moves for a key character, so I also thought that this might increase the commercial value of a series. But in Shingeki no Kyojin, I didn’t establish these elements for two reasons: first, I personally would not be interested in such ideas as a reader, and secondly, if I add these details as I’m progressing the story, there would’ve been even more information that require explanation. If an author stuffed every detail he wanted to showcase within a work, it will become less interesting overall. For SnK, I intentionally reduced some aspects that would’ve stretched out the story development too much.

– Even the supporting characters that emerge as villains are very complex.
Isayama : Even though various villains appear, I personally feel that being “evil” for no reason is lackluster. Even while illustrating a villain, you should portray his or her timidity and confusion, as well as the ambition only he or she possesses. You have to do your best to make others feel like, “This kind of person exists within me also.” As an artist, I think this is something you must be attentive towards.

tumblr_ou24u0o89E1rtjn7oo1_1280.jpgtumblr_ou24u0o89E1rtjn7oo2_1280.jpgtumblr_ou24u0o89E1rtjn7oo3_1280.jpg

QUESTION 03 (Image 2) 

CAPTION: Eren’s growth and evolution. The baby Eren that appears in flashbacks has eyes that faintly resemble his older self (Upper left). When he first encounters the Titans, he is still rather innocent (Middle right). At age 15, he still displays a childlike appearance during his trainee period (Upper right). His life experiences undergo twists and turns (Bottom left), so his expressions gradually change as well (Bottom middle, bottom right).

CAPTION: Eren’s fellow cadet Krista. Although she is initially portrayed as a warm, blonde-haired, blue-eyed beautiful girl at the beginning, she slowly revealed other sides of herself.

Question 03. How do you cultivate your characters ? 

– What is an important aspect to illustrating a character’s growth and evolution ?
Isayama : Outside of flashbacks, the timeline of Shingeki no Kyojin actually didn’t progress too much up to this point, so the characters have not aged significantly, either. However, Eren received an unthinkable power, while for the first time, Armin encountered the dilemma of whether soldiers must kill humans during the war against Titans. They are all struggling within different scenarios, and hence their features have also changed. The way I present these changes is via the eyes. Either I draw them in a gradually sagging manner or add on faint eye bags, the characters’ faces begin to bear more indignant looks.

– We hear that you created characters whose development exceeded your own expectations ?
Isayama : It’s the role of Krista, the fellow cadet of Eren and Mikasa. She’s a kind-hearted, petite female soldier with a lovable face. For the sake of the series’ commercial value, she’s the first one I treated as a “moe character.” However, I never felt like she lived the superficial life of a plastic doll, so the more I drew her the more I actually became annoyed…back then I thought, why don’t I just go along with the flow and utilize this feeling within her identity? Since she lived as an unwanted child, she always obeyed what everyone else told her. However, she also gradually affirmed her independence. I illustrated her using this direction. Ultimately, her character design actually ended up melding perfectly with the story.

– During the drawing process, do you feel emotionally invested in characters ?
Isayama : No matter the character, I always insert varied parts of myself, so I possess different types of emotional investment towards each one. But while drawing, the character is still him or herself only and completely detached from me. If I don’t do this, I might encounter situations where the dialogue does not match up with the countenance. In SnK there exists a lot of angry expressions - I even feel like my own face will contort in that way (Laughs).

Who is the character you connect with the most ?
Isayama : If I entered the SnK universe, I would definitely be an anonymous soldier. Eren has a fellow cadet named Daz, who vomited when he first entered the battlefield. I feel like I’m the closest to him. To be honest, I felt like I was really distant from the main characters. With that said, lately Eren and I do have some overlap. Eren unconsciously received an extraordinary power, and he now carries a heavy responsibility. This is similar to me, as I am now handling an immense amount of material which I couldn’t even imagine when I first started this series. Sometimes I would suddenly sense pressure, even feeling like I must live a peculiar existence despite just being a normal person. Nevertheless, whether it’s Eren or myself, merely thinking about how “I’m actually not special” is a form of solace. And once I recognized this point, drawing manga became slightly easier for me.

EXPRESSION Character Page (Image 3) 

MIKASA ACKERMAN: Eren’s childhood friend is a female soldier with excellent fighting skills. Typically calm towards others, she holds her tongue in most situations and does not speak often. Possessing black irises, her emotions are often conveyed through her eyes and eyebrows. Because she is a character that seldom changes expression, every instance where she suddenly reveals a different appearance becomes very memorable.

ARMIN ARLERT: Eren’s good friend. He was bullied as a child, and Eren and Mikasa rescue him after they become acquainted. He was imagined as someone with lackluster physical ability but superb intellect. With a thin frame, he seems to possess feminine qualities. His special feature is a small, rounded nose. Isayama himself states, “Armin’s appearance has its charming factors. I like it a lot.”

REINER BRAUN: Eren’s fellow cadet. As a soldier, he has a very advantageous physique and was drawn with robust musculature. Compared to others, he shows very few emotions. But as the story progresses, he also gradually reveals more diverse facial appearances - this is closely connected with the plot development. Isayama explains that he is positioned in the role of “Another protagonist.”

KRISTA LENZ: Eren’s fellow cadet. Isayama designed her initially as a “moe character.” Though feelings of guilt constantly accompanied her upbringing, leading to much influence and control over her, she eventually establishes her independence and becomes stronger. Due to this awakening, the gaze in her eyes, the slight movements of her brows, and the rise & sag at the corners of her mouth all become more significant - and she becomes more and more vivacious.

EXPRESSION: (Image 4)
When approaching characters who partake in hopeless battles and exist in an unimaginable, cruel world, the key to illustrating them is their eyes. “For example, if their line of sight shifts even just a little to the left or to the right, it shows that something plagues their mind - and there is no focus on the matters at hand.” Isayama says. Through the intricate depictions of eyeballs, eyelids, and eyebrows, there emerges anger, dismay, anxiety, and determination…the faint changes in emotion can manifest in such ways.

Eren Yeager
The story’s protagonist. He unwittingly began to bear a significant weight that led to many uncertainties. At the same time, his heart still burns with vengeance against the Titans that took away humanity’s freedom. As an “easily angered” individual, the key to his features is his eyes. As he widens them often, the whites of his eyes are usually drawn proportionally larger.

tumblr_ou24ubAWBd1rtjn7oo1_1280.jpgtumblr_ou24ubAWBd1rtjn7oo2_1280.jpgtumblr_ou24ubAWBd1rtjn7oo3_1280.jpgtumblr_ou24ubAWBd1rtjn7oo4_1280.jpg

MOVEMENT (Image 2)
Shingeki no Kyojin’s exciting trait is how it overflows with energy. Isayama indicates: “Manga is different from film. Manga is abstract. When the movements of limbs are drawn slightly beyond actual human capability, they can showcase the action’s intensity.” Prompted by the characters’ arms and legs, as well as their various poses during these battles of desperation, the scenes become deeply memorable to the reader. 

CAPTION: All the soldiers basically hold their weapons in the same manner. However, as someone who didn’t undergo official training, Levi wields swords in his own style - with a reverse grip. Isayama explains that, “It’s like when certain tennis players hold their rackets differently.”

MOVEMENT (Image 3) 

CAPTION: Curves of the body and the protrusion of musculature are all exaggerated somewhat. As a result, the reader can comprehend even the minor dynamics within a scene. The entire setting then becomes infused with action, like that of an anime instead.

CAPTION: When designing characters, Isayama is especially creative with their hair colors. “Because this is an action manga, so those who move around more - Eren, Levi, Mikasa - were given black hair. This is so that when the hair is actually sketched, speed lines (Which convey effects of movement and agility) can be easily added in passing. However, I end up not being able to tell which line is which…(Laughs)”

COSTUME: (Image 4)
Regarding the gear that is a mix of fantasy and reality, Isayama explains, “I referenced the early 1900s - the military uniforms prior to World War I - and added on some of my own arrangements.” Back during that period, stretchable manmade materials had yet to exist, so everything was made from crude natural fibers. Accessorized by tight leather belts, this type of vintage apparel helped the presentation of the SnK’s universe immensely.

CAPTION: The soldiers connect their 3DMG to their belts. Relying on the cables that launch from their waists, airborne battles became a reality. In addition, two giant scabbards for swords are attached to the sides. In order to achieve these functions, the military jacket’s design had to be shortened.

COSTUME Continued (Image 5)

Isayama indicates that one reason for all soldiers to dress in such uniforms is due to the nature of serialized manga. “Each serialization has deadlines, so they don’t allow for unlimited work to be invested into them. For me to dwell on what each person had to wear and diversify their clothing is simply not realistic. Even costuming is a part of the strategy to control my time spent on drawing.”

CAPTION: Bottom right: The long coat is the official garb for any meetings or any settings with an audience. The Survey Corps emblem is positioned on the chest and around the wrist.

Left: During battle, a cape is placed over the uniform jacket. Its length is designed to specifically not interfere with riding or any equipment, but it can still contain and streamline airflow. Through that, one can decipher movement speed or wind strength.

Révélation

Interview de Hajime Isayama (Bessatsu Shonen, août 2017)

Source

tumblr_osndzujHPT1rtjn7oo1_1280.jpg

SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN’S ISAYAMA SENSEI TALKS ABOUT THE MARLEY ARC AND THE END OF EVERYTHING!

- Now that the series is smoothly moving along, tell us your thoughts as you move towards the final chapter.
Isayama : The Marley arc has finally begun. I’ve been especially attentive towards my readers’ opinions towards Shingeki no Kyojin. Many fans have been supportive, and this series has undergone much growth itself. So now I feel a great responsibility to conclude the story properly.

- The circumstance of Grisha’s first wife being the Titan that consumed Eren’s mother is something you planned from the very beginning. Did you also conceptualize the Marley arc back then ?
Isayama : During the concept stages, the first idea I had was “Titans are actually humans.” But if that were the focus, then the story would’ve become a typical monster horror film. So on the Titan side, I added some elements of drama. Not only do we have “they’re actually humans,” but we also have the dilemma of them being companions, relatives, and friends. This was the basis of the Marley arc.

- We have many new characters making their debut in the Marley Arc. When you first create a character, what’s the level of detail you go into ?
Isayama : I definitely ask myself “what do they look like?” and I ponder upon that as I sketch. They should differentiate from existing characters as much as possible, so I draw with the thought of “we haven’t seen a character with this kind of expression yet.” After I finalize the features, I’ll think “someone with this kind of expression probably has this kind of personality” - and then the entire character is formed. At first, during Pieck’s debut scene, I had drawn her as a middle-aged man. But as I continued to work on the manuscript, she suddenly became female. Also Gabi - she has a similar feel to the female Eren I drew during a Bessatsu Shonen event.

Update (July 16th, 2017): Isayama Hajime shared this image below on his blog as the original concept for Pieck!

tumblr_inline_ot7p97xpx11rne3aj_500.jpg

- If Marley Arc is progressing as you had originally visualized, then the ending of the whole story…?
Isayama : Although I’m progressing towards the ending that had been set before, my approach towards the ending itself has changed from the original plans. Because now I feel responsible towards the reader. I originally wanted to illustrate something similar to the film “The Mist.”

- From the perspective of that film’s main characters, it’s hard to say that it has happy ending. The original ending for Shingeki no Kyojin originally went in that direction? 
Isayama : By the middle of the film, the story of The Mist is at the typical level of a B-list movie. But at its conclusion, it used the main character’s deep, intrinsic beliefs of what’s right to corrupt the main character himself, leading him to act in contrary ways. What the audience believed to be correct is also flipped upside-down. In the beginning, I spent a while analyzing how to imitate this style for Shingeki no Kyojin.

- When you say “in the beginning” you mean…?
Isayama : At first I explored emulating The Mist, but now you could say that I’m moving in a more peaceful direction, similar to Guardians of the Galaxy. I’m not talking about whether Shingeki no Kyojin will have a good or bad ending - I only speak of my own attitude as the creator, as well as differences in my methods of ensuring that the readers enjoy the series.

- Are you heavily influenced by films?
Isayama : It’s like this. The movie In This Corner of the World has WWII-era Japan as its setting, showing everything through the perspectives of people from that era to illustrate “what warfare is.” The story starts prior to when combat began, but at some point even the main character, whose livelihood is opposite from a battlefield, also became someone who heeded the calling “fight on!” And then, she was defeated by such a development. The movie doesn’t explicitly answer the question of “Is war a bad thing?” - and I think that’s quite innovative. For example, in order to express the notion of “discrimination is bad,” it first demonstrates existing prejudices, then dives into the recognition of this mindset, and then examines the opposing view - this makes the audience exclaim “whoa!” and understand the logic of it all. I’m also hoping to implement this storytelling method so that my readers can sympathize with the suffering of the characters.

- Contrary to the wars of human history, the victorious and the defeated within a manga is decided by its author. Can you determine what is right in the end ?
Isayama : Up until now, what I’ve drawn is Eren’s perspective of those within the walls, but for the Marley Arc, the same individuals appear as enemies of the Marley. Through that, the situation has evolved into how the Marley and the readers no longer know what the other side is planning. Until now, this role of someone who is unpredictable has always been given to the Titans. So by doing this, I have flipped the script on who is good or evil.

Ultimately, I don’t think the series passes judgment on what is “right” or “wrong.” For example, when I read Furuya Minoru’s “Himeanole,” I knew society would consider the serial killer in the story unforgivable under social norms. But when I took into account his life and background I still wondered, “If this was his nature, then who is to blame…?” I even thought, “Is it merely coincidence that I wasn’t born as a murderer?” We justify what we absolutely cannot accomplish as “a flaw due to lack of effort,” and there is bitterness within that. On the other hand, for a perpetrator, having the mindset of “It’s not because I lack effort that I became like this” is a form of solace. We cannot deny that under such circumstances, the victims’ feelings are very important. But considering the root of the issue, rather than evaluating “what is right”…to be influenced by various other works and their philosophies, and to truthfully illustrate my exact feelings during those moments - I think that’s what Shingeki no Kyojin’s ending will resemble.

Révélation

Q&R de Hajime Isayama (Bessatsu Shonen)

+ quelques éléments supplémentaires

Presque tous les mois, Hajime Isayame répond à une question dans ce magasine. A noter que le mois dans le titre des magasines ne correspond pas toujours au mois d'édition (parfois 1 mois de décalage).

Septembre 2015 (Source)

Q: Does Bertholdt being an untidy sleeper have anything to do with Reiner having become a soldier?
A: I think it does. Like in <Vinland Saga> it draws the vicious bear suffering from nightmares. 
Q: How long does it take to put on the military uniform?
A: It really takes a long time but they have training to learn how to put on and change clothes quickly. It’s in the similar degree of difficulty and speed of [An Intrusion in Pajamas パジャマでおじゃま]!
(パジャマでおじゃま is an educational TV program produced by NHK. It features video clips of children putting on their pajamas by themselves. Usually a BGM will loop in the background and children have to finishing dressing before the song ends. You can watch a clip here . Lol it really takes a lot of time!)

Octobre 2015 (Source)

Q: Within the walls, are there any natural disasters, like typhoons, lighting strikes, or volcanic eruptions?

A: It’s not really that different from our own living world.

Novembre 2015 (Source)

Q: Why does Annie like hoodies?
A: Because she can use them to cover her head fully and be alone outdoors whenever she wishes to.

Q: What gave you the idea for 3DMG?
A: I love crafting weapons from junk in a game named Mega Man Legends and that gave me the idea.

Décembre 2015 (Source)

Q: Is there any reason why Jean grew his hair out?
A: Because he still believes in his own potential.

Q: Among the 104th graduating cadets, who excelled in academic learning?
A: Armin, Marco, Jean, Reiner, Ymir.

Février 2016 (Source)

Q: I want to know the name of Kenny’s female subordinate who said to him, “Oh, you finally died?” (This one)
Isayama: Traute Carven. (Note: Could also be Kaafen or something - official English is still TBD!)

Q: Do the Survey Corps members have a retirement age?
Isayama: No they don’t, because they cannot live until that age in the first place……

Juin 2016 (Source)

Q: Who is the most skilful in potato peeling among 104th cadets? 
A: When it comes to skin peeling, it’s definitely Mikasa.

Q:  Do you [Isayama] become unable to eat meat or things like that, after you draw the scene of titans eating human?
A: I am still perfectly fine. However, after watching a movie called “Green Inferno”, I was unable to eat meat for a while. 

Aout 2016 (Source)

Isayama confirmed that he is participating in the screenwriting work for Snk Season 2. 

Isayama : “It took us some time. However, the time we have spent builds up to a much better planning and higher quality of the anime. I truly feel this way because I am involved in the screenwriting work. We will keep you waiting for a little bit of time, but please look forward to the anime!

Araki : “To me, Shingeki no Kyojin resembles a master whom I respect. Whenever I get close to him, I can feel his noble mind and his magnificent look. If his voice can be amplified and spread into this world, I’d rather make myself an insignificant existence but support him with my best efforts and all the skills I accumulated so far.
Now it’s the time to raise his voice again. And I would like to gladly help him. I am really happy to be of service to him for a second time. Thank you for offering me this opportunity. Please look forward!

Novembre 2016 (Source)

Q: How do you come up with character design?
A: I try not to limit the thinking process in my head so I look at images or other things and then think about it. 

Décembre 2016 (Source)

Q: If the reunited Levi and Kenny had fought each other one-on-one, which of them would have been stronger? 
A: I’ve recognized Levi as the official winner of that matchup. 

Février 2017 (Source)

Q: Who is in the same class of training corp with Rico?
A: Mitabi, Ian and some other people!

Avril 2017 (Source): 

Q: Please tell me what are the snacks that Pixis likes to have while drinking! (Except for beautiful ladies) 
A: It is the conversation he has with beautiful ladies. But if I’m picking up a second choice for him it would be sausage. 

Mai 2017 (Source): 

Q: What will be Levi Heichou’s reactions if he drinks coffee?
A: He will feel low. 

Juillet 2017 (Source): 

Q: Why Levi doesn’t call Hanji by “Shitty Glasses” any more?
A: Because Hanji has become the Commander of Survey Corps, it seems that Levi, as might be expected, tends to respect Hanji’s status as the leader of their corps.

Août 2017 (Source)

Q: How many meters is the size of Kruger’s titan form? (note: this reader’s name is “Shingeki no Kruger” lol)
A: 15 meters!

Révélation

Blog de Hajime Isayama

Blog, la traduction global provient de cette source

8c0a84bc-s.jpg

Isayama’s message in this month’s magazine is “Finally reach(ed) the scene that I have been thinking about drawing, and I share the same feeling with Armen.”

Fans on the internet have been wondering if “Armen” is a typo. Isayama just made a blog post to explain “Armen means ‘My Men.’”

I did a rouge translation and here it is. He talked about the character of Armin is influenced by one of his friends back in his hometown. When they were elementary school students, they used to play B-Daman and airguns together. His friend kept saying “even though I can’t buy the goodies I want as a kid, I will buy them all after I become an adult and can use my money freely.” And after his friend became an adult, bought the things he wanted as a child, he came to Isayama and said “It’s indeed so good! These are the best!” However, Isayama has totally lost his interest in B-Daman, Yugioh-Card and such things as a man in his thirties. While his friend kept his innocence and feelings as a child, Isayama felt kinda sad and regretful that he “killed” his young self. 

Isayama did not think about projecting his friend as Armin when he first drew. But drawing manga may be like a psychology test and now he realizes it. So maybe the “pure self” that isayama once killed of himself is Armin.

Révélation

Shingeki No Kyojin AU Smartpass

Source

Il s'agit d'une application smartphone japonaise lancée en févrirer 2014, qui donne des interviews de personnages tous les mois. Ces histoires se produisent dans l'univers de l'histoire de SnK, et non dans un univers parallèle. Isayama les supervise, elles sont officielles (il n'est pas dit explicitement qu'elles sont "canon"). Apparemment, de toute manière les seuls informations nouvelles données ne sont pas importantes, sinon ce sont celles canon. 

tumblr_inline_okqddt9KPT1rne3aj_500.jpg

Source

Interviewer: Next up - Miss Mikasa Ackerman. You share the same surname as Captain Levi. Even though you are not closely related by blood, but regarding how he is from the same clan - how much do you know about all this?

Mikasa: Only as much as what is written in the reports…

Armin: You want to understand Mikasa’s thoughts, right? Well…even though the memories might be painful, maybe she should just discuss what she can tolerate.

Inteviewer: Yes, that’s appreciated. For example, your father…did he seem like someone with extraordinary physical capabilities, like Captain Levi?

Mikasa: …I don’t know.

Eren: Mikasa grew up near the mountain, so she just farmed vegetables and played with birds for the most part. Her whole family lived this kind of lifestyle, so she wouldn’t know too much else…

Mikasa: Yes. I thought…that was satisfying enough.

Interviewer: If that’s the case, then there weren’t much information or heirlooms left behind.

Mikasa: When I was little, I only remember my parents saying that they were both persecuted. And after they met they became husband and wife. That kind of memory…

Armin: Also, it was never clear why Mikasa’s father and the Ackerman clan were being persecuted, because it never seemed like racial discrimination.

Interviewer: Then, Miss Mikasa still knows very little about Captain Levi, who is of her clan?

Mikasa: …when I heard that he had the same experience as me, I was somewhat shocked.

Jean: You’re talking about what you told us on the carriage, right? About how you suddenly felt a surge of power rising from within…?

Armin: But no matter how we analyze this, we still do not understand the specifics of this incident. Right now we have to prioritize our battle strategies.

Interviewer: I understand. Lastly I just want to hear about your personal impression of Captain Levi. Whether you consider him as your clansman or just as a simple individual

Mikasa: …I think he is someone who can make the correct decisions. Even though his methods are weird, he at least brings results…

Armin: Maybe “weird” is too strong of a word…this interview’s going to be published, after all…even if the Captain may think the same way about himself, everyone knows he can succeed. That’s why there has always been people, including us, who are willing to obey his orders.

Interviewer: No wonder.

Artbook

Artbook1.jpg

Il y a 5 volumes (environ 800 pages en tout), qui sont relatifs à la saison 1 de l'anime, et qui sont constitués principalement de compilations de genga.

Définition de Genga : "Un Genga dans le langage des animateurs de dessin animé est une pose clé d’un personnage dessiné par un animateur clé. Il fait la pose de départ et de fin et les intervallistes dessines les poses intermédiaires appelées Dôga. Source

Un récapitulatif des images est déjà constitué sur ce site, j'aimerais bien mettre les images directement ici le site ne le permet pas.

Je compléterais ce message progressivement, il y a encore beaucoup à mettre, pour le moment il n'y a que la structure et 2-3 infos.

Modifié par Setna
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• goon pinned this sujet

Mine de rien, il y a beaucoup plus de traductions que ce que je pensais, le message de présentation va faire 3kms de long ! J'en suis déjà à plus de 120 000 caractères (heureusement qu'il n'y a plus la limite de 30 000...). Ca représente un document word de plus de 100 pages.

@Tenroku

Toute aide sera la bienvenue. :)

Plus généralement, des traductions anglais -français pourraient être judicieuses, si d'autres membres veulent s'y essayer n'hésitez pas. Non pas qu'il me manque la motivation, mais vu la quantité d'interview notamment, je n'aurai jamais finis.

De toute manière, à un moment donné je répertorierais quelques informations importantes piquées ici et là dans les interviews. Par exemple, apparemment Reiner est désormais l'un des personnages principaux (en plus d'être le personnage préféré de l'auteur à l'heure actuelle).

Modifié par Setna

Bonne initiative en effet ;). Le 3ème Guidebook Answer est déja disponible en France depuis 1 mois il me semble.

=> Il prend en compte toutes les données jusqu'au tome 19 Inclus et est ponctué par des Interviews d'Isayama (Entre 50 et 80 Questions/Réponses de mémoire)

Je conseille à ceux qui ne comprennent pas les liens Ackerman/Reiss/Fritz/Asiatiques de le lire , il contient énormément d'explications ponctués d'arbres généalogiques.

Les interviews d'Isayama dans ce guidebook sont très enrichissantes et intriguantes.

On en apprend aussi + sur la vie intra-muros , notamment la hiérarchie gouvernementale .

Il faut trouver la motivation par contre pour lire tout le topic , rien que la moitié ça prend du temps... , mais c'est toujours du bonus.

Modifié par Haya²

• 2 weeks later...

Nouvelle interview très intéressante qui date de milieu de 2017 mais qui vient d'être traduite en anglais -> http://fuku-shuu.tumblr.com/post/165460688037/snk-news-isayama-hajime-interview-in-weekly

Isayama donne des tips aux personnes désirant créer un manga et il aborde la création de certains de ses personnages et ce qu'il en pense.

• 1 month later...

Hier s'est tenue une séance d'autographes avec Hajime Isayama et durant laquelle il a réalisé une foire aux questions.

La FAQ est disponible (en anglais) à cette adresse -> http://www.snknews.com/post/171470447442/isayama-hajime-holds-autograph-qa-session-in

Étant donné que toutes ces informations proviennent de comptes de fans, elles doivent être prise avec des pincettes. Isayama précise aussi que toute les réponses qu'il donne dans cette foire aux questions ne sont pas forcément gravées dans la roches et qu'elles peuvent changer à l'avenir.

Résumé des points qui me semblent les plus intéressants :

• Levi a gardé l'ancien équipement car il n'arrive pas à s'adapter au nouveau. Le nouvel uniforme a d'ailleurs été inspiré par l'exosquelette de Matt Damon dans le film Elysium
  • Après avoir laissé le corps d'Erwin dans une maison à Shingashina, Levi est allé récupérer ses os et des funérales ont été organisées.
  • Eren est influencé par beaucoup de souvenirs qu'il a hérité, ce fût notamment le cas lorsqu'il a demandé à Falco s'il faisait ça "pour une fille" dans le chapitre 97. Il s'est lui-même crevé un oeil et coupé une jambe avant d'infiltrer Mahr plus hardcore tu fais pas Isayama précise que Eren n'est pas dans l'état de se soucier de ce que les gens pensent de son look (en répondant à une question à propos des cheveux longs d'Eren)
  • Puisque l'univers de Shingeki no Kyojin est une fantaisie, il se pourrait qu'il y ait plus de 4 groupes sanguins et si c'était le cas ils pourrait qu'ils ne soient même pas considérés humains J'me demande si ça a un rapport avec les Eldiens et les tests sanguins qu'on leur fait passer
  • A la question "prévoyez-vous de dessiner la période de 4 ans qui s'est écoulée sur l'île du Paradis" il répond qu'il ne peut rien dire pour l'instant.
  • Isayama a déjà décidé de la mort d'un personnage dans le futur mais ne sait pas encore pour d'autres personnages.
  • Isayama travaille sur le manga sans avoir prévu de date de fin mais lui et son éditeur sont d'accord sur le fait de le finir rapidement. Il y a 5 ans ils avaient décidé de terminer la série dans 3 ans. [Pour ceux que ça pourrait inquiéter, il a déjà dit qu'il voulait finir son manga rapidement mais qu'il ne voulait surtout pas bâcler la fin dans de précédentes interviews, autrement dit, il ne veut a priori pas étendre son manga plus que ce qui est déjà prévu]
  • A propos de Bertolt : Isayama dit qu'il n'a "pas encore fini de le dessiner", qu'il est devenu un Guerrier probablement pour son père.
  • Isayama dit qu'il ne pense pas que les personnages meurent réellement et qu'ils continuent d'apparaître ailleurs (ce n'est pas clair si il veut dire dans l'histoire ou bien d'autres mediums)
  • Sur les spin-offs : l'auteur de Junior High avait une liberté de création et pour A Choice With No Regrets Isayama avait discuté à l'avance de ce qu'il pouvait se passer dans le monde souterrain avec l'auteur. C'est lui qui a eu l'idée qu'Erwin repère Levi dans les souterrains et que ce soit ainsi que ce dernier ait rejoint les Bataillons d'Exploration
  • Isayama semble regretter d'avoir rushé la mort de Mike (notamment parce qu'on n'a jamais vu la réaction d'Erwin et Levi à celle-ci et c'est comme si le personnage avait complètement été oublié)

Le reste des informations sont des informations un peu plus triviales comme la taille ou le poids de certains personnages, ou encore quel genre de musique Eren chanterait dans un karaoké (la réponse est Métal \m/)

Modifié par Tenroku
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quelques nouvelles bribes d'information -> http://www.snknews.com/post/171642598167/additional-translations-from-the-isayama-qa

• Isayama utilise beaucoup de noms à consonance germanique dans SnK parce qu'il s'est pas mal renseigné sur leur signification et parce qu'il trouve ça cool
  • Le nouvel uniforme des Bataillons d'Explorations est fait de cuir et l'équipement tridimensionnel anti-personnel est plus léger et plus facile à manier que l'équipement tridimensionnel classique. Pour certains personnages qui ont des spécialités (comme Levi ou Sasha), ils peuvent choisir eux-même l'équipement qui leur convient le mieux
  • Le personnage de Flocke va apparemment jouer un "rôle important" dans l'histoire

Encore une fois, Isayama et son éditeur précisent que les réponses données dans cette foire aux questions ne sont pas définitives et sont susceptibles de changer. Seules les informations données dans l'histoire ou dans les guidebooks sont considérées strictement canon.